Fuel lubricant for older diesel tractors

Alycidon

Hi, I use a 1971 MF135 to run my processor. Modern red diesel does not have the lubricants in it that it used to have and that really my injector pump needs.

I have had issues with the injector pump last summer but since I have been giving it a dose of diesel additive it has generally behaved nicely. No lube and when hot it wont start, its like the stop its out all the while. A well placed tap on the inj pump sometimes but not always affects a cure. Engine is over 7,000 hours.

I was talking to someone about this earlier today, he recommended a drop of 2 stroke oil instead of the additive as its much cheaper, anybody tried this of have any other solutions to the problem.

Thanks

A

Hi, I use a 1971 MF135 to run my processor. Modern red diesel does not have the lubricants in it that it used to have and that really my injector pump needs.

Are you sure about this as I've had several car mechanics recently say that if you were buying a secondhand diesel car you'd be better off buying one that had been run on red than most of the stuff on the forecourts. I mentioned this to a couple of oil suppliers and they both agreed that red is probably as good diesel as you'll get nowadays as it's considerably less tampered with than that destined for road use.

That having been said a wee drop of decent two stroke is unlikely to do any harm, certainly is the additive of choice when somebody is running a diesel engine on paraffin.

I use a surface modifier called FX1, it's classed as a Mono Molecular Surface Modifier. You put some in the oil and some in the fuel, it reduces friction at the molecular level, it pulls all the crap out of the surfaces of the engine, so plan a filter change a week or so after using it.

It's amazing stuff IMO, over 20% fuel saving on old diesels when we tested it for a local bus company in the 90's. I put some in a dumper that was chugging out black smoke, within 10 mins it was running sweet with no smoke at all.

I've not seen FX1 on UK shelves, but I have seen ZX1 in Halfords, reading the label it looks like the same stuff with a different name for UK markets, it was £22 in Halfords.

Are you sure about this as I've had several car mechanics recently say that if you were buying a secondhand diesel car you'd be better off buying one that had been run on red than most of the stuff on the forecourts. I mentioned this to a couple of oil suppliers and they both agreed that red is probably as good diesel as you'll get nowadays as it's considerably less tampered with than that destined for road use.

That having been said a wee drop of decent two stroke is unlikely to do any harm, certainly is the additive of choice when somebody is running a diesel engine on paraffin.

Modern diesel (as of March last year IIRC) is exactly the same as pump fuel but with a dye added.

This means it's ultra-low sulphur, which is where the concerns of lack of lubricity at the pump stem from.

John Deer diesel additive is well thought of in the plant community, and very economical. I use:

7.8mm fuel conditioner

42.2mm two stroke oil

per 10l of diesel in all my machines.

If you mix this up in a 1l squeezy bottle for dosing, it's 156ml conditioner and 844ml two stroke.

HTH

Anything else (especially from Halfords!) is likely to be snake oil. If it were that easy to overhaul a bollocksed engine with no spanners, mechanics would be out of a job!

OP- most likely your injection pump is due a service. The lube is probably sealing it enough to keep it going but I doubt it will last that long.

Anything else (especially from Halfords!) is likely to be snake oil. If it were that easy to overhaul a bollocksed engine with no spanners, mechanics would be out of a job!

If I didn't know it works first hand I would not have mentioned it. I was involved in some testing in the 90's, it does what it says on the tin, it doesn't say it overhauls engines on the tin :001_rolleyes: read some of the industry reports on it, there's loads on the web.

Power Engineering: Lubricant Additive Regains Lost Turbine Capacity

Results of Third Party Tests of its FX1 Low Friction Surface Modifier

whatever.

I have in the past put a drop of clean engine oil in with ea full tank. No idea if it helps but never given me a problem. No idea if 2 stroke is any better never dried it.

Very sensible, and I find engine oil cheaper than 2stroke oil. Up to a pint per large tankful depending where fuel is sourced tesco etc, any more and you make fog.