hydraulic driven / mechanically driven timber trailers

David Riding

Is there a hydraulic driven or mechanically driven timber trailer on the market,

Looking for one that would go behind a quad.

and looking for another that would go behind a 150hp tractor.

If there is a hydraulic one how exactly do they work. As in does a hydraulic motor just power a propshaft or something else?

Vahva Jussi do a really small one with the option of hydraulic drive and there was a big Farma one on here the other day - can't remember size but had an 8m crane on it so probably plenty big enough for 150hp tractor.

Think Rexton did a little one with hydraulic drive too.

From what I've seen, generally they are hydraulic drive (though weren't timberliner mechanical?) with hydraulic motors positioned to pull down onto the trailer wheels as required. Not 100% sure what goes on at the tractor end, whether they are just run off a spool or some other sort of set up.

Vahva Jussi do a really small one with the option of hydraulic drive and there was a big Farma one on here the other day - can't remember size but had an 8m crane on it so probably plenty big enough for 150hp tractor.

Think Rexton did a little one with hydraulic drive too.

From what I've seen, generally they are hydraulic drive (though weren't timberliner mechanical?) with hydraulic motors positioned to pull down onto the trailer wheels as required. Not 100% sure what goes on at the tractor end, whether they are just run off a spool or some other sort of set up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iP5V7JKU2o&feature=related]VAHVA JUSSI 400 with timber trailer - YouTube[/ame]

chris who sells them

Edited by David Riding

Timberliner are chain driven to the wheels via the hydraulics and a lot of over-engineering and gubbins in the trailer (inc a diff lock!). Hydraulics are run from pto into pump inside the trailer. Personally I would go for this type of set up as opposed to the cage driven ones. It will go anywhere, untill you are down past the axels :blushing: There are some out on the market I have seen on the web, but not sure who makes them, I think Farmi did one.

Vahva Jussi do a really small one with the option of hydraulic drive

Yes this is the hydraulic motor running a cage which clamps down between the wheels, never seen it but the big drawback with mine is the tyres being marked not suitable for highway use.

(though weren't timberliner mechanical?)

The original timberliner from the 80s was pto drive to a driven bogey, a lorry drum brake varied the drive ( as a clutch) which the driver modulated from the cab, largely to prevent the trailer jackknifing the outfit. It was quite impressive and with a big tractor was more capable then a lot of forwarders available at the time ( which tended to be ~150hp). It lacked all the other attributes a purpose built machine has over an agri based outfit and was heavy.

Kesla do a full range of drives for there trailers from simple hydraulic cages between tyres to hydraulic motors driving wheels and even full mechanical. Basically the bigger the trailer the more options you have.

http://www.kesla.fi/en/trailers

I purchased my Kesla trailer from Caladonian Forestry and have been well pleased with it.

Edited by renewablejohn