carniverous plants

DrewB

Spent the weekend up in the waipoua forest planting 3 and 5 yr old kauri trees. The trees were from seeds we picked from tane mahuta and te matua ngahere- the father and lord of the forest, both aged at about 2300yrs(and bloody huge). The steward of the forest is Stephen King, a man who knows more about the life that is the forest than anyone else. On the roadside driving through the forest he stopped to show us these tiny plants-a couple of years ago he got the road moved to create more habitat for them. and these plants are tiny, god knows how he ever found them in the first place.:001_smile:

P1010792.jpg.4717e5514365595644a07bb5ec67ed4f.jpg

P1010791.jpg.a5e76f21a04715a03533c86e4a5053d5.jpg

P1010790.jpg.7cf1d351dbd590ced4781974c0d28a47.jpg

also saw a fungi that lives in a bug. the bug inhales the spore, the spore germinates inside the bug and produces a stem about 4 inches long up through the bugs skull. This then releases more spores. unfortunately my camera had died by then-an absolutely crazy looking thing. next time im there i will try and get pics if i find a specimen.

also saw a fungi that lives in a bug. the bug inhales the spore, the spore germinates inside the bug and produces a stem about 4 inches long up through the bugs skull. This then releases more spores. unfortunately my camera had died by then-an absolutely crazy looking thing.

Drew,

Nice documentation of an endemic sundew species. And the fungus living on the bug probably is a Cordyceps species.

also saw a fungi that lives in a bug. the bug inhales the spore, the spore germinates inside the bug and produces a stem about 4 inches long up through the bugs skull. This then releases more spores. unfortunately my camera had died by then-an absolutely crazy looking thing. next time im there i will try and get pics if i find a specimen.

Cordyceps? If so they are freaky and awesome!

Cool plants :thumbup:

Spent the weekend up in the waipoua forest planting 3 and 5 yr old kauri trees. The trees were from seeds we picked from tane mahuta and te matua ngahere- the father and lord of the forest, both aged at about 2300yrs(and bloody huge).

What a fantastic program to be involved with.

Nice one Drew, very jealous :thumbup1:

Are both the Trees still producing ample & viable seed ?

Any shots of the planting ?