How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

In my twenty plus years of interacting with trees for a living, I think I can truthfully count my encounters with the wee furries probably on two hands.

mind you, me memories not quite what it was :blushing::biggrin:

this obviously isn't taking into account the hundreds if not thousands of darting shadows over the years that have been buzzing around above my head from dusk onwards.

Would like to get a gauge of how often people 'intimately' come across bats in or around the wild or urban woods during work.

Not asking if you've disturbed roosts, cause that would be kinda dumb :sneaky2::biggrin:

But have you heard them or seen them whilst sharing their space ?????

Here's a few shots of the ones I've managed to capture (or nearly capture, as in the last one, where I got rudely interupted whilst survey vets in the basque a couple of years back)

IMG_4328.JPG.c461aeaf671a53db3711d68a34956cf7.JPG

P7290014.jpg.b2e679e22b813d713d40430e4a48b615.jpg

IMG_2962.JPG.179ce98ca7adac8549df4647435cbb64.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG.8713e87a23381b15c77d3f829b3f908c.JPG

IMG_2955.jpg.4ab1f2013f12d912db42b8da7fc644ef.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg.f9030261a9a20ba7928d739afa920efd.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last pose is straight out of the Grattons catalogue :biggrin:

i doth confess, it would appear to form the shape of a pose, but was actualy in fact my sturdy point toward the fluttering beast, shouting............there, there, no there, quick get a shot !

Oh, it's gone :thumbdown::biggrin:

I have encountered them in trees on three seperate occasions, one a pip at this time of year and very sleepy flying out from ivy, some (3-4)daubentons within a cavity and a rather nice family gathering of noctules in a cankered ash at ashridge.

will download some images tommorow.

That's more like it :thumbup1:

1 time m40 service stn. Beaconsfield Very top of tree 75 mm branch loose bark , not expected, have had jobs to look for bats with ecologists but no evidence found, except in bat boxes placed and revisited , nice find 6 bats inside cement wood fibre German type box 3 months after positioning, most finds are earwigs !

1 time m40 service stn. Beaconsfield Very top of tree 75 mm branch loose bark , not expected, have had jobs to look for bats with ecologists but no evidence found, except in bat boxes placed and revisited , nice find 6 bats inside cement wood fibre German type box 3 months after positioning, most finds are earwigs !

thanks for that :001_smile:

Can you remmember what species/age of tree for the one on the M40 ?

Oak?