Tree Size Categories

Scifon

Hey guys, this might sound a bit stupid but what sizes does each category represent?

I mean when your on site, you look at a tree and say I reckon thats a cat 1, 2 or 3 and so forth and I have an idea of each category in my head but is there any literature anywhere that states exactly what size/diameter each category is? Have looked at BS3998 and on other sources but can't seem to fin anything :/

Please help!

Thanks,

Scifon

Arborist/Rope Access Technician

Hey guys, this might sound a bit stupid but what sizes does each category represent?

I mean when your on site, you look at a tree and say I reckon thats a cat 1, 2 or 3 and so forth and I have an idea of each category in my head but is there any literature anywhere that states exactly what size/diameter each category is? Have looked at BS3998 and on other sources but can't seem to fin anything :/

Please help!

Thanks,

Scifon

Arborist/Rope Access Technician

There is no size category, apart from the trees that automatically become cat c -those of such small stature they could be moved or easily replaced.

A small veteran hawthorn, for example, may have loads of features that make it environmentally important. Someone will be along shortly to explain in more detail, I'm sure.

Size categories are often used in large-scale local authority surveys. There is no recognised standard, the categories used should be fully explained in the survey contract documents. Sometimes they are based on stem diameter, or height, or crown spread, or foliage density, or a combination of all those!

Are you talking about 'size categories' in a development type context, whereby BS5837 may be relevant (not BS3998), or a general 'tree survey' (safety survey) type context?

Either-way, in general terms, and as both Gary and Paul have said (I'm good at following others better knowledge :biggrin:) there is no 'recognised' size categorisation...as far as I am aware.

Categorisation does happen in BS5837 in relation to 'quality', I guess, and suitability for retention of trees on development sites (again as others have said) usually to make a longer term contribution.

Otherwise you can develop your own 'categorisation' but be sure to explain it in the notes / 'survey key' and be consistent.

Cheers..

Paul

there is size categorisation within bs8545 and the Horticultural Trade Association specifications which are worth a read/ glance, but these are more to do with specifying trees for planting based on their size when leaving the nursery than categorising trees already within the landscape.

I must admit I've not come across purely size categorisation anywhere else that I can think of.

But could imagine it being used to bracket trees into stem dbh for tenders etc