dog rose wood

hedgesparrow

i am laying a hedge and found 3 pieces of dog rose stems aprox 3" around 5ft tall bigest i have seen in a hedge can this be used shame to burn it. smaller bits i have kept to make walking sticks but thes are to big fr that.

reading up i see rose wood can be used for making chess pieces and the like but different rose wood will save and put in shed to season but any sugestions be interested to hear

well that's a new one on me. i must assume you are correct.

i only know timber type species and not necessarily garden plants. dogwood is also known as dog rose or flowering dogwood in the states so i presumed that was the species hedgesparrow was referring to.

i am now the wiser man.

which species do you mean hedgesparrow???

its known as briar, dog rose or hedge rose not dog wood which is totaly different it has the rose hips on the stems which was used as itching powder in my days and has a loverly pinkish flower or as other posts its latin name which i did not know Rosa canina i asume this translated is rose cane as the stems are like canes and the smaller stuff is used for walking canes or sticks. like to know what the big stuf could be used for. do not smoke a pipe and need a lot of baccy to fill bowl one of these still last all day:biggrin:

but thanks for replys and see what comes from posts. now waiting to go in shed to allow to dry out

its known as briar, dog rose or hedge rose not dog wood which is totaly different it has the rose hips on the stems which was used as itching powder in my days and has a loverly pinkish flower or as other posts its latin name which i did not know Rosa canina i asume this translated is rose cane as the stems are like canes and the smaller stuff is used for walking canes or sticks. like to know what the big stuf could be used for. do not smoke a pipe and need a lot of baccy to fill bowl one of these still last all day:biggrin:

but thanks for replys and see what comes from posts. now waiting to go in shed to allow to dry out

Canina...canine...dog.