Be Kind....Rock 7 Ton Electric Log Splitter

bikewoo

hi. i know its not a pro splitter but from reading the forum over the last few weeks i have noticed there are a lot a different people and skills on here. there are a few threads on splitters but not much input on electric. I spilit arb waste that i can scavenge for free and try not to buy wood. I am a retired joiner on medical grounds,not an arborist but have cut wood with a few saws over the years. I have a good knowlage and love of timber and find this site very interesting. If anyone has the time to spare and the knowlage of the above machine or similar I would be very grateful. My budget is about £500. As i said , be kind to a newun.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a battery chainsaw and I've been doing this job for 16 years!!

There is some wood that splits easy, some that should be thrown to the side, buy the splitter and choose the wood you wish to split, you know timber, go for it:thumbup1:

Don't know anything about the machine though:biggrin:

Hi bikewoo! I've not used am electric splitter myself so I am unable to comment on their power, but I was thinking myself about getting one just for myself and family's log supply. Had my eye on this one from machine mart http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-vertical-log-buster-6 they send out a vat free offer every month so if I used that it would be mega cheap...but is it nasty? Would also be interested in people's views on the leccy ones...

I have been using a 5 ton elector/hydraulic horizontal log splitter from Metabo. I have split I guess around 100 cubic metres over the years with it and it has worked well. I had an oil seal go, but that was due to the bolts freeing up over time. This has been used to split mainly arb waste + thinings and I have split rings up to approx 18 inches with it. It won't split really knotty wood, but you a get a feel for what this size of machine can/can't do. If it doesn't split after 2 goes ,then the log goes on the pile to be chainsawed (normally just a few). The only species that I have had real problems splitting is London Plane for some reason. The log splitter will run all day long without getting hot. I use just wood to heat my house and over 10 years and counting without a gas heating bill :)

Hi bikewoo! I've not used am electric splitter myself so I am unable to comment on their power, but I was thinking myself about getting one just for myself and family's log supply. Had my eye on this one from machine mart Clarke Vertical Log Buster 6 - Machine Mart they send out a vat free offer every month so if I used that it would be mega cheap...but is it nasty? Would also be interested in people's views on the leccy ones...

hi , as doobin righty says they are the same machine, they both claim different ton but the motor is the same. When i tried to get parts for my clarke they took forever , then said they cant get them. I actually got them from "Handy". same machine different colour.

I've used that Clarke one for a couple of years now with no problems. I bought it on a VAT free offer, too. The cross splitter is only useful for short, straight grained stuff, there's not enough oomph if there's any cross grain stuff, but if you stick to the standard single wedge it's pretty good IMHO.

I also bought a Titan electric chainsaw from Screwfix on a daily offer (£50-60 IIRC) & despite my scepticism that has been a revelation - it's really good.

Reason I've gone electric back at base is, of course, SOLAR PANELS! Why pay the chancellor to buy petrol & oil when I can get paid for using my own electricity?

I've used that Clarke one for a couple of years now with no problems. I bought it on a VAT free offer, too. The cross splitter is only useful for short, straight grained stuff, there's not enough oomph if there's any cross grain stuff, but if you stick to the standard single wedge it's pretty good IMHO.

I also bought a Titan electric chainsaw from Screwfix on a daily offer (£50-60 IIRC) & despite my scepticism that has been a revelation - it's really good.

Reason I've gone electric back at base is, of course, SOLAR PANELS! Why pay the chancellor to buy petrol & oil when I can get paid for using my own electricity?

hi, have you had any oil leaks? is it hoses between the pump and the ram or is it all hidden/in a casting?