Hitch Climber or ZigZag? Personal Opinions

TTownsend

Basically wanting to leave the trusty old prussik in the past and get a more up to date rig. Ive used a hitch climber a number of times and i do really like it but theres something about the ZigZag that appeals to me but have never had the chance to try one out.

Just would like peoples personally Opinions on the two about the pros and cons and what ropes work best etc etc

Thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the hitch climber is the one i go too most but i use the zigzag when im in bigger trees so can zip around the tree without glazing my hitch cord,the zigzag is very smooth aswell.

Both are great but if i had too choose it would be the hitch climber,when the zigzag fractures or fails a loler it'll be 120 notes to replace,where as the hitch climber is 10quid to replace hitch cord and away you go again.

Im just a tight arse to be honest

For me, hitch climber without a doubt. It's so customisable to the way you climb, can set it very sporty or extra grippy, can be set up perfectly for any rope or conditions...

Although I do appreciate that if you can't be arsed with faffing about with it and just want to put it on your rope and go, the Zigzag is probably the better answer.

For the record, I've had both and sold the Zigzag after two weeks, have two Hitch Climbers in my bag though!

I reckon some people just like the mechanical devices and some like a bit of rope between their fingers.

It's a bit like analog vs digital, vinyl vs cd, etc.

Most people know where they stand. I reckon it's pretty similar for tree gear so which type are you and go with that.

I'm an analog kind of guy so I love my hitch climber and a bit of accessory cord tied on with fishermans.

Happy choosing