light 10mm or 11mm tree climbing rope?

stevelucocq

hi, go easy on me as have not looked at climbed kit in 5 plus years so a little out of touch with new tree climbing ropes. anyhow looking to buy a light weight tree climbing rope for recreational tree climbing/camping. using oldschool double rope method with blakes hitch with jumar/leg loop for assistance. looking for light rope as stripping kit down as the tree climbing will be after a hike. also what prussik/rope combo should i go for?

thanks in advance!! steve

Personally I'd find a 10mm rope too skinny to grip comfortably.

On what you'd described, I'd look at a rope in the roughly 11.5mm range - New England Tachyon is quite popular, there are other options from Yale, Samson etc as well.

A 25m or30m would be fairly light, if you're climbing big stuff you can always reanchor on the way down.

Are you using a Prussik loop or a Blake Hitch? If a blakes, I think you need the same diameter rope, so 11.5mm.

For Prussik, 8mm cord works best on these. Marlow Viper is my favourite of the cheaper 8mm, and should be fine for a Prussik loop.

Hope this helps

in reply to stevebullman(sorry did not quote u) i used to do alot of rock climbing. not sure if people are interested but i have a set of 60metre 8mm half ropes ie u climb on two ropes (lead) and they can in isolation take a big fall but it allows you to place gear either side of the route to reduce rope drag and safer to have as u have a backup, plus u can absail 60metres and pull them down, ha they look like shoes laces after tree climbing on 13mm for a while. also they r very stretchy and therefore u fall further but there is less shock load on the gear than a single rock climbing rope so more likely for your protection to hold in the rock

Edited by stevelucocq
not quote