Blanking off the egr valve

Maxnaggle

Heya all, just wondering if anyone has done this with their vehicle..

Apparently doing this can improve mpg, oil life span, turbo life span, power and stops the inlet getting sooted up with recycled exhaust gasses..

I blanked Myne off today and have noticed a definite improvement in bottom end grunt, will report back on the mpg figures at the end of the week...

I understand that the idea of having an egr is to reduce the amount of nox (?) gasses being released.. But weighing that up against the above, seems like fair game to me?

Thanks all

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya all, just wondering if anyone has done this with their vehicle..

Apparently doing this can improve mpg, oil life span, turbo life span, power and stops the inlet getting sooted up with recycled exhaust gasses..

I blanked Myne off today and have noticed a definite improvement in bottom end grunt, will report back on the mpg figures at the end of the week...

I understand that the idea of having an egr is to reduce the amount of nox (?) gasses being released.. But weighing that up against the above, seems like fair game to me?

Thanks all

HI MAX on old 300TDI LR OK on VWT5 you have map them out thanks jon

It's worth doing a bit of home work first. The old stuff is fine but some of the newer stuff needs programming otherwise it will log faults. Some engines have a cooler on the egr which helps reduce engine temps so need to be careful especially if you tow.

Removing the faulty egr often reduces the pollution keeps the oil and engine and oil cleaner. Power and mpg will be minimal. Results on mot will not be affected. Diesels need to be really filthy to fail the mot.

DPF I think . Nissan Navara . The 2.5 133hp engine . Turbo diesel but not common rail .

I had a new d22 and that was definately a cat. Dpf never got going until about 2010 . I only ask as interested to know what difference poking the guts out of dpf on different makes has.

I have found , as you say Steve that performance gains are small . Engine spins up quicker if you tread on the loud pedal but mpg improves slightly if you drive it carefully . The main thing is the inlet manifold stays cleaner and so does the oil . Have you seen those cars/trucks with a sticking EGR valve . Clouds of smoke at random times .

I had a new d22 and that was definately a cat. Dpf never got going until about 2010 . I only ask as interested to know what difference poking the guts out of dpf on different makes has.

Its an 05 model so maybe it was a CAT . It was a matrix afair .