Cs 38

Jack e

First master the closed climbing system.This is where you tie a termination knot and a friction hitch with just your climbing rope.I was taught a running bowline secured to the carabiner on your harness to a blakes hitch and stopper knot at the tail-usually a figure of 8.Others may say different and there are other options but this is the system i first learned.It is very important as it could get you out of **** one day(i would hope you never have to).Master this system before you move on to anything else.knots i use,besides the ones above,fishermans,alpine butterfly and hitches distel, clove and prussik.Good luck

Edited by stihlmadasever
wrong word

Well said stihlmadasever, trusting your equipment is half the battle. Definitely learn to tie a bowline you will use that a lot in your arb career anyway.

CS38 is a really fun course but can be pretty physical if you haven't climbed much before so I would suggest having a little practice before the course if you can, just to become familiar with ascending/descending and finding your balance. If not don't worry as they teach you from scratch anyway.

Also buy a book called 'the tree climbers companion' by jeff jepson if you can or look at the 'beginners climbing guide' here on arbtalk I found that very helpful when I started.

Do i want a prusik loop or just some friction cord? Or shall i just get both?

Edit: what mm is best too?

Good idea to get both mate. Learn the notes for a split tail and a Prusik and figure out what you prefer, won't set you back much. You want the Prusik to be a smaller diameter than your main line, I think it works with the same size too but I just know it grips better with a thinner friction device. And it's what I've always used.