Working in France. Any tips or info...?

Jayv39

Hi All

Im 26, been working in arb for a little over 2 years, have CS tickets up to 39 driving licence, all my own climbing kit and PPE (minus saws). Iv got experience working in Australia, New Zealand and Scandinavia. Im looking to potentially get some work in France in the new year.

My main concern is the obvious potential of a language barrier. I do have a relatively good understanding of the French language and did actually used to live in the Ardeche for a short period but im by no means fluent enough to speak what i would consider a `working standard`.

Is this a huge problem?

Any other information or advice is hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few threads on here filled with useful advice, have a search and do some reading.

First things first, your chances of finding work with a french company without being totally fluent are slim.

Secondly NPTC's aren't really recognised here, although qualifications aren't mandatory in the industry so that isn't a massive problem.

Hints and tips.... prepare for A LOT of paperwork if you are making any kind of permanent life here.

Don't be disheartened, the french really have a great attitude to work and there is always a market for someone willing to work hard.

I am by no means an expert on this matter as my company is still in its infancy but if you need any help let me know.

Hi

Lucky11 is pretty spot on,

I suppose it depends how long you intend to stay for but unfortunately the French system is admin heavy. I think there is an issue with taking on permanent staff in terms of the tax a buisness is liable for - worth checking.

That said, you could always start up your own biz under the 'auto entrepreneur' scheme & yes, it will sharpen up your French - I suggest at first you employ the services of a translator as they will be familiar with the system for both that & filing tax returns et all.

For example Val Assist, Translation Services in Vendee France

Bon chance et bon courage!

N

They drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

We say that in England.

Whenever I've tried speaking French to a French person I've got as far as once sentence before being sneered at at replied to in very condescending English :biggrin:

I think you need to live here for a bit to get the pronunciation right - accentuate the vowels for example and not all English translates to French very well, put another way, the way they speak sometimes dosn't translate (they dont do it deliberately!) My wife teaches English to the French & they say we talk too fast as well.

N

Edited by NFG

A bit more thinking:

Im not sure how much thought you've given this but you have to do your homework & research into every aspect before leaving,

Consider renting before buying unless you've sorted that one

Try to live like the French, some English go wrong because they dont integrate too well, unfortunately some get disillusioned and return. Its essential you get on with your neighbours, who will know everyone in the area if you live in a rural location. They will be both shy & curious and may see you as rich English - whereas in reality thats the tourists in their brand new cars.

The good news is, once befriended they do have a rather good sense of humour and are a lot friendlier than you think & certainly very generous.

N

We say that in England.

I think you need to live here for a bit to get the pronunciation right - accentuate the vowels for example and not all English translates to French very well, put another way, the way they speak sometimes dosn't translate (they dont do it deliberately!) My wife teaches English to the French & they say we talk too fast as well.

N

Two years in Belgium and another two in Paris.

My pronunciation wasn't the problem. I'd always try and speak French where I could, because it's only right when I'm living in their country. It was more that if they could speak English better than I could speak French they couldn't be bothered to let me try.

Give it a go mate. I have known blokes over here working in the building trades who hardly spoke a word of French and got by. Their excuse is that they only work for English speakers. That in my opinion is totally wrong, shows no respect for the French. Brits are the worst in the world for objecting to foreigners who don't speak our lingo but forget all their prejudices when they get here. With Tree surgeons, most seem to get more than enough French clients when they get established and known. I agree with NFG that you will need to get professional help for paperwork, tax matters and registering to work and live here. Don't be put off. Almost all French people I know will help you even if don't speak French all that well, I know it's a cliché but they do appreciate it when you try. One of the best ways to learn is to get involved with the community be it via sport, hunting or fishing, just show some interest in what people do. hopefully Darren Shepherd of VTS or Ty Corrigan (Stuart Lee) will post something to help you or even suggest who may give you a bit of work as a taster. Both good lads who understand the system and won't belittle you. There are some good people out here who will help you if you ask.

Good luck.

Whenever I've tried speaking French to a French person I've got as far as once sentence before being sneered at at replied to in very condescending English :biggrin:

But try starting a conversation in english and you'll get 100% french back. Always, always start off in french and they'll help you as best they can and have a laugh along the way.