Trailer test - anyone done it?

spandit

I passed my test in 1997, just after they changed the rules. My wife, who passed a few months before, can drive lorries, tractors, the space shuttle etc. but I'm limited to one of those tiny Erde trailers (assuming my Hilux could cope with the massive weight :D)

Anyway, I know I need to do the trailer test, and now have the vehicle in which to practice in (I presume I can just add some L plates and have my wife with me). Are reversing cameras allowed and what about low ratio? The trailer we have is a flat bed so I'll either have to fit a superstructure on it or borrow a larger one. Would a horsebox qualify?

I did have some info somewhere about what the manoeuvring section entailed but appear to have lost it

From a personal point of view I'd book a days training and your test for the next day. No matter how good anybody thinks they are, we all pick up bad habits. The instructor will iron these out and get your mind back into passing a test. You also don't have to worry about your vehicle and trailer being up to scratch and meeting the requirements as its all provided. As for the manoeuvre, that's the easy bit. Everyone I've known to fail has done so on the general driving around part. It's harder than you think to be in the correct lane all the time and keeping to the speed limit is probably the hardest thing.

Like people have said. I'd book a lesson. I had no idea how many bad habits I had picked up until they were pointed out. But they were straightened out and I passed first time.

Also like has been said before if you do it in an instructors car it will be up to spec.

Reversing cameras are aloud, but I'm not sure about low range, but I can't imagine needing it as its basic road driving.

I think the trailer needs to be around 2 tonne or something like that, so I think it would need to be checked before (another reason to use an instructors).

1, Anyway, I know I need to do the trailer test, and now have the vehicle in which to practice in (I presume I can just add some L plates and have my wife with me).

2, Are reversing cameras allowed and what about low ratio?

3, The trailer we have is a flat bed so I'll either have to fit a superstructure on it or borrow a larger one.

4,Would a horsebox qualify?

5, I did have some info somewhere about what the manoeuvring section entailed but appear to have lost it

1, Yes but check your insurance.

2, Cameras are ok, why would you need low ratio?

3, Plus add the required weight that has to be as specified.

4, Yes if you add the right load.

5, Message me your email & I will send you the info.

Agreed with the lesson, my friend did the full test, but failed because she didn't fit towing mirrors on her Disco!

More likely they dint fit mirrors for the examiner. Unless the trailer was much wider than the car.