Problem Elm ?

AndyFoth

Hi there I am new to this and botany is not my speciality. We have a tree issue at the moment - I don't believe it is an indigenous species and would also appreciate if someone could also identify it.

We have been in our current hone for around 7 years and the tree has always been healthy. About 5-6 weeks ago it began shedding leaves and is now completely bare.

There seem to be black spots on the branches which I have now removed. We do seem to be getting some new growth from the trunk only.

Appreciate any ideas of what this is and whether my tree will survive.

image.jpg.aa4557ac2ee8a72dd607b39814aa5855.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that a camperdown elm i wonder. just looks familiar but i await experts.

Many thanks David you have answered a 7 year old conundrum! I wasn't sure it was an elm but the natural history website said it was although not which type.

I am now more worried that this could be dutch elm disease ? - any thoughts on this appreciated

Many thanks

andy

It could be DED, but unlikely as you are seeing vigorous regrowth. At the top of the trunk is a line - this is a graft point so the tree above and below this line is a different type. Are the new shoots from above or below this line?

Can you get any close-up photos of leaves (even if they are now brown) - the leaf form would really help.

Whereabouts are you?

Alec

Thanks growth is below and above the line - I guess that is good news. Having removed the remainder of the sported areas yesterday there seems already to be fresh shoots so there is life in the old girl yet !

Are these all created by grafting ? - so is the structure below and above the line different ?

We are in Towcester Northamptonshire

Cheers

Andy

20150823_144116.jpg.f9275d5b66ebb41f2de09e57b3b39ebd.jpg