Good books...

sloth

There have been quite a few people ask over the last year or so what are good books for identifying trees, fungi etc. This thread is intended to be a place for people to list books good for whatever reason. I'll start with this one I just received in the post.

Roger Phillips, Trees in Britain Europe and North America

£2.81 inc p&p, very well laid out, in such a way someone who'd never identified a tree could do it!

1428569878976.jpg.c07c5dd86e80de54e5cd7a10418d4a20.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got that one as well. That range of books is well laid out in a different style that really helps. I found out the mystery tree my grandad planted decades ago through this book.

It was a mockernut hickory, if i remember correctly.

Another good book in the standard style format is

e9115ed6dff844a48bc2fa6edfd0141b.jpg.e045dacb6708d3f68043573598738d56.jpg

Phillip's Trees in Britain^ is tops.

The other three in my top four are:

<sounds of envelope being opened>

Keith Rushforth, Easy Tree Guide

Hamlyn Guide, Trees of Britain and Europe, Humphries, Press and Sutton - good 'glovebox' book.

Collins Tree Guide, Johnson and More. (Treat y'self!)

If anyone has a thing for conifers - in a way that other people might describe as obsessive but isn't really it's just taking an interest in the world around us - there's this

Dalimore and Jackson - Handbook of Coniferae First Pub 1923, and A Manual of Coniferae by Veitch (of Bicton) Pub 1881 are worth looking out for in the old and interesting section.

oh look

EIGHT QUID!!! Blimey they're giving it away!

Happy days

Yourn.

I use the Collins guide to British trees, and I also use the hiller tree and shrub manuals(with pics), both good books.

For fungi ID issue the AA fungi on trees and the manual of wood decay both good books again. Out on site the arbtalk fungi app is also very useful

+1 for Roger Philips as a great visual ID book. Also the Collins tree guide is always in the truck or somewhere close by, an invaluable reference. There are a couple of books I would like to add too.

First is 'the NEW SYLVA' by Hemery & Simblet, a revamp of Evelyn's discourse on forest and orchard trees. A truly brilliant book. One for the coffee table as its huge, the layout is clear and it is peppered by beautiful original pencil drawings. I really like this book.

IMG_20150411_092345959_zpsn2hk6bsj.jpg

IMG_20150411_092421722_zps5dwafx8d.jpg

Second I can reccomend 'Tall trees and small woods' by William Mitch. A comprehensive book about the complete woodland and each species role and compatability within it. It goes through various nurse species, which trees will thrive in any given soil conditions, good edge trees, habitat species, planting spacing, conservation of old woodlands and future proofing current woodlands through genetic diversity and using seed stock both native and from further afield. An excellent in depth look at all aspects of small woodlands.

IMG_20150411_092433924_zpswaymkwtp.jpg

IMG_20150411_092501131_zpsvjz9rcep.jpg