greenmech quadchip 160 feed roller issues

num83r13

Hi guys,

The problem that developed today was that the feed rollers are in constant reverse. Normal operation is turn key, start engine, set revs then hit button above hopper to start the feed rollers. But now when the engine is cranked over the rollers operate immediately in reverse and hitting the button or pushing/pulling the bar does nothing. Maybe after a few minutes without touching the chipper it can either stop completely or start in feeding but then trip back to feeding out again.

I've not had a chance to look at it yet in detail but intend to sort it over the weekend, just wondering if anyone has any pointers in where the problem could be?

Where the rod from the stop bar go's into the box on the top next to the button, check it's not sticking bit of wd40, then take the cover off and check a wire hasn't come astray.

The quadchip is ment to be able to outfeed at tickover which leads me to think more likely a sticky switch up top.

Worst case it's a sticking hydraulic solenoid.

Keep us posted.

Top tips there John - asa the man says.....

check that all is good under the top cover and that the switches move s they should and that the actuator is moving when it should and not shifted and stuck.

Take off each hershman connector and test to see if voltage is getting there when it should. Feel the coils for heat after it has been run for a while - a hot or warm unit would say hat the coil is breaking down internally. Give the valve block a tap with a hammer to see if the spool is jammed and gets free....

Well, I found no issues with the infeed button and box above the hopper so I searched down the wire loom until I found this connector(pic 1) just by the battery. When I unscrewed this connection it was full of water, after taking the sheath back (pic 2) I found that the whole wiring loom was a reservoir of water. Once dried out using hair dryer and reattached and taping up of small hole where I suspect the water has been getting in the chipper is now running as it should.

Job done.

tach]176618[/attach]

DSC_0192.jpg.f9b4a3b98a1ee2417985916ce987446f.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg.c532cf54b4ec01554ed67f40dd8b508d.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg.774bf2ed7a3f3d249a03d136db971ac2.jpg