Useless Stihl flippy cap leakes then broke

NFG

All,

Today I filled my MS250 before work, shortly afterwards I noticed fuel leaking from nasty horrible flippy filler cap.

Checked the seal was clean, re-seated it carefully, still leaked

repeat above & the wretched thing snapped off despite not applying much force.

My saw is now useless until I obtain a new one & Im far from happy with this appalling crappy design. Going to get rid of saw & replace with one that has screw in bungs in the not too distant future.

Anyone from Stihl reading this, I hate this type of useless 'innovation' that overcomes problems that dont exist, how is it you have the gall to manufacture something so poor?

N

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All,

Today I filled my MS250 before work, shortly afterwards I noticed fuel leaking from nasty horrible flippy filler cap.

Checked the seal was clean, re-seated it carefully, still leaked

repeat above & the wretched thing snapped off despite not applying much force.

My saw is now useless until I obtain a new one & Im far from happy with this appalling crappy design. Going to get rid of saw & replace with one that has screw in bungs in the not too distant future.

Anyone from Stihl reading this, I hate this type of useless 'innovation' that overcomes problems that dont exist, how is it you have the gall to manufacture something so poor?

N

You don't know what you may have started! There's a whole old thread about the bloody things somewhere and it got a bit heated it has to be said.

Some folk love them, I hate them; I've had so many have drop out after filling when they seemed safe when tweaked that I just double double check them now and still swear at them.

But as I say some love 'em and that's fine.

My final word on the subject.:001_rolleyes:

They are excellent!! Never had any problems with them.

They also double as an IQ test, every groundie I've had that had trouble with them was pretty hopeless at most things, the ones who could operate them with ease where also good at the job:thumbup:

Absolutely not a fan of Stihl flippy caps. 20 years of caps working fine, then Stihl introduced the flippies and they have failed more often than I can count. The best part is when flippy groupies try to tell you it is your fault and not the cap.

It's annoying that they need an extra check but in the grand scheme of things its no issue. My blower has a black tooless cap that just screws on. It doesn't need double checking because its like the old ones just without the need for a plug spanner.

I bought an 036 last week and I thought it has a leaky tank. The tank has black screw caps and the ones I saw had the new type cap. It turned out to be the breather leaking so panic over it just needed reseating and pushing down firmly. If I fit the screw cap by hand I still need the screwdriver to get it back off.

Just pop to your nearest dealer and pick one up, they are about 10€ otab, so not a big deal. Its frustrating when this kind of thing happens, but could be worse.

I have had a few husqvarna screw caps due to either the screwdriver slot wearing down, or the worst was watching my groundy tighten and shear off the oil cap on a new 346xp using the wrench!

I like the stihl ones for what its worth

They are excellent!! Never had any problems with them.

They also double as an IQ test, every groundie I've had that had trouble with them was pretty hopeless at most things, the ones who could operate them with ease where also good at the job:thumbup:

That they do :lol::thumbup1: