Green Space Audit

TTS North

I've been put in a rather bizarre situation. Been asked to do some pruning on a tree.

The LA say it is not TPO'd and not in a conservation area but was part of a 'green space audit'.

On that basis I've been told by the LA that 'to be on the safe side' I should put in an application to work on it.

I detect a hint of people not being sure of what they are doing and of their own responsibility so passing it, whatever it may be, back to me.

My thoughts - how can I apply for something which cannot be applied for because it doesn't exist. I can't apply to work on a TPO'd tree that doesn't exist in a non existent conservation area. It's like applying for permission to paint the moon. I'm minded to just go ahead and do the work.

What are your thoughts?

I've been put in a rather bizarre situation. Been asked to do some pruning on a tree.

The LA say it is not TPO'd and not in a conservation area but was part of a 'green space audit'.

On that basis I've been told by the LA that 'to be on the safe side' I should put in an application to work on it.

I detect a hint of people not being sure of what they are doing and of their own responsibility so passing it, whatever it may be, back to me.

My thoughts - how can I apply for something which cannot be applied for because it doesn't exist. I can't apply to work on a TPO'd tree that doesn't exist in a non existent conservation area. It's like applying for permission to paint the moon. I'm minded to just go ahead and do the work.

What are your thoughts?

Perhaps, to cover yourself, put in an application / specification to whomever is instructing you by email and await their reply before proceeding.

Whilst the tree(s) may not be TPO'd they are, presumably, in their ownership so, in effect, you are getting permission...kinda.

Good luck..

Paul

Thanks, Paul - I have the instruction from the owner and the authorisation from them to go ahead - if that's what you mean?

It's this position from the local authority - that I don't need permission, but still have to apply for permission, which is confusing.

Thanks, Paul - I have the instruction from the owner and the authorisation from them to go ahead - if that's what you mean?

It's this position from the local authority - that I don't need permission, but still have to apply for permission, which is confusing.

Apologies, I misinterpreted that the owner was the Local Authority (LA)....DOOH! :blushing:

I would suggest still emailing the LA then and giving them an intended start date for the works "as previously discussed" etc. and confirming to them your understanding that there are no planning restrictions, e.g. TPO / Con. Area, preventing the works from proceeding.

It does sound like someone from the LA is covering all angles, just in case. Hence, for complete 'belt n braces' you may wish to get written (email) confirmation from the LPA, i.e. LA Planning Dept, that there are no protections in place.

Sorry, I'm waffling a bit and, of course, adopting the "proceed with caution" approach :001_rolleyes:

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Paul, sound / cautious counsel but might such an "application" start a chain of events that could result in the LA implementing a TPO which would radically reduce the tree owners freedom to manoeuvre?

Interesting conundrum!

Kevin, very astute!

It's been a long day here and my initially misinterpreting the post kinda swayed my subsequent comments.

I'll go now n leave it to the 'experts' :thumbup:

Hope you're well..

Paul

The Green space audit bit is what is puzzling me, as LA'S generally tend to do this to their own land. The clue's in the name really "green space".

Silly question maybe, but where is the tree located?

I'm assuming it wouldn't be covered under an LA green space audit, if it was in a private residential garden........