Another log splitter thred

Gray git

Well last week my Thor splitter got nicked so looking at options for replacement.

Two options are self contained with engine or modifiable to plum into the hydraulics on my rb and possibly carry on the front for the odd time we need it on site.

I like splitting at a comfortable hight not on the floor and a decent sized table so everything won't fall strate off as soon as it's split.

Min 8ton splitting force as anything lower is a bit feeble I think and a decent size knife as didn't like the 1ns fitted to the oxdale machines.

I don't know if they still doit, but Riko used to do a 9t that was similar sized to the Oxdale but with two speed and auto return that was light enough to drag around by hand. I reckon it wouldn't be too bad for two people to lift it up onto a frame on the RB and it should be small enough to run from some sort of powerpack if you wanted to use it off the RB.

From memory it was the A9V 500pi and was something like £650 or so plus vat (or was when I last saw one)

Riko UK - A9V500PI - Vertical log splitter for tr…:

Yes they still do it Chris, looks quite a good machine for the money, is it actually this quick or is tractor in vid at full throttle to speed it up?

I don't think it's been sped up any (that's just how fast I work with a hangover :lol:) though I can't remember what tractor would have been revving at. At best it was only a 58hp Carraro so wouldn't have had a massive flow on it anyway. I think that one in the video was one of the very first one's Ballario built as it still only has the small base plate on it - the later ones had a much bigger one fitted.

It's the same splitter as they use (or used to) for the A9 Vario and the petrol version of that only had a 6hp engine and a tiny pump so it shouldn't need much for it to be reasonably quick.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Ah well might give Jim a call on Monday. Just need to find a flow rate for the rb pump somehow and get a 2nd line fitted off the winch circuit.

Sorry to hear of you splitter being robbed.

To get a second line off the winch is easily enough to do, with a 3 way valve in the system some where handy, and a extra return to the tank, or t'ed into the existing one. The valve will have a handle or knob on it, one way oil flows to one the winch and that works as normal, the other way diverts the flow to splitter.

Depending where you've fitted the t valve, if between the pump and winch valve, you would have to make sure both pipes where connected from the splitter, before turning the valve, other wise you will cause damage to the pump or blow a pipe on the rb. If after the winch valve just connect up, change the 3 way valve over and work the winch valve, wedge it open to work the splitter.

I use a 3 way valve to divert oil from the crane to a hydraulic winch on my truck.