Experiences of eucalyptus

Farmerdowling

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kindly chap dropped a load of eucalyptus off for free today! Obviously I'm looking forward to the job of splitting it but have heard that it takes up to 2 years to be ready. Anyone know much about it?

Split it while its green, can be a right sod to split when seasoned

There's been a thread on this (or maybe it was embedded in another thread about firewood, can't remember)

Just from my own horrible, sweaty, cursing, never to be repeated experience.......

Whilst it burns up lovely when seasoned, I wouldn't touch the bloody stuff even if someone gave it to me for free, in fact, I'd go so far as to say if a 'friend' wanted to give me Euc, I'd immediately and irrevocably remove them from my Christmas card list!

The last batch I did had a twist and curve which meant it just wouldn't split by axe, hydraulic, wedge, smashing it against a wall, driving over it!

The only glimmer of hope I could offer, if it is straight grained and not cut in too thick rings, and it is recently rather than long time ago cut - don't let it season before splitting, it'll turn to reenforced concrete - it'll make decent firewood but the effort required will make me run a mile next time!

Good luck!

I've only got the axe but enjoyed some exercise earlier - I will finish tomorrow!

Well done . I leave mine to season in big lumps so people dont steal it . It is tough to split but my hydraulic 20T splitter does do the job . Oh and dont burn it on an open fire or you will need a new carpet !