New tree in bad ground

Kevcal

Hi guys I have to replace a like for like tree I removed on a job site. Tree had to come down due to bad rot. There is was honey fungus on the tree( thanks arb talk fungus guys for the info). Later confirmed by the local tree officer that several trees had the fungus.

The new tree has to be placed next to the old tree or atleast the old trees root plate, so is there anything I can do to stop the new trees roots been hit with the fungus. There's nowhere else I can put the tree as the neighbours have got onto the council about the tree been replaced.

Any help would be great as I don't know much about fungus . Thanks

First thing would be to talk to your Tree Officer and make sure he's knows about the problem, then discus about what alternative species could be used as alternative trees, there are quite a few trees which are tolerant of Honey Fungus , choice will depend on what best out of the list would most fit the site in appearance , ultimate height when mature , shape , see what the TO has to say and even invite his opinion. If he's any good as a TO he should be very helpful .

Unfortunately there is no real treatment to get rid of the Armillaria - once established in the soil all you can do is dig out effected roots/stumps/soil and replace. Short of that probably want to leave unplanted for a year or so then replant with a suitable species - Yew, Ash, Oak & Beech all have some resistance I believe. I've heard of people creating soil barriers with thick polythene in a trench, to stop the spread underground, but obviously you want to plant right next to the old stump.

I'm not a fan of those lists that are based on incidence, they can be miss leading. For example oak is attacked frequently if it happens to be one of the very common English species. Holm oak on the other hand is resistant as not as many cases have been reported to rhs. Holm oak is no where near as prolific as the native oak so you wouldn't expect as many reported ceases. Just my opinion.

Glynn Percival has done some interesting work on reducing the impact on HF. Its associated with sub-optimal soil conditions from what I remember so soil improvement is a must. De-compaction for a start and he uses a treatment, trichoderma I think. Worth a look.

Getting rid of as much as possible of the old root is a must - not just the stump, but getting the roots out too. If the site allows, the may be easiest to get in a small excavator and skip, take a skip-load out and bring in a skip-load of decent topsoil to replace it. This would give you a clean planting site, good conditions and ensure that the tree gets off to the best of starts, for a good few years.

Armillatox used to be sold for dealing with honey fungus, and I found it very effective - there are apples which I treated in the late 1980s which have shown no further sign. The manufacturers declined to pay the fungicide registration fee, but it is still available, in the same formulation 'for cleaning patios'......

Alec

Yes to soil extraction, and inoculating the perimeter with Trichoderma or other fungi that are antagonistic to HF.

Then you could go with the like species--if the replacement will be a like size, you guys must be pretty strong, or use a crane? :001_tt2:

Yes to managing HF; much other research on soil replacement and trunk cleaning and drenching, :thumbup1: in Italy, US, etc. Removal is seldom warranted ime.