larch

delabodge

Can do you waney edged 25mm larch cladding for £6.13 a square metre, plus VAT and delivery :D

That is super cheap! Sounds like £7 a cubic ft- I'm nosey enough to ask if that is a viable local price for you, Big J?

I'm also presuming that the customer has to order enough for overlap, rather than you including it in the price?

That is super cheap! Sounds like £7 a cubic ft- I'm nosey enough to ask if that is a viable local price for you, Big J?

I'm also presuming that the customer has to order enough for overlap, rather than you including it in the price?

That is not including overlap, so aye, £7 a cubic foot.

I can get reasonable European Larch into the yard at less than £2 a cube and quite easily cut over a hundred cube a day, so the figures add up. It's not going to make me a millionaire, but it keeps the mill ticking over, and gives me something to do whilst I'm waiting around for customers purchasing hardwoods (which are more profitable).

That is not including overlap, so aye, £7 a cubic foot.

I can get reasonable European Larch into the yard at less than £2 a cube and quite easily cut over a hundred cube a day, so the figures add up. It's not going to make me a millionaire, but it keeps the mill ticking over, and gives me something to do whilst I'm waiting around for customers purchasing hardwoods (which are more profitable).

OK, fair enough I see where you are coming from. It's easy cutting without any real complication, with timber that isn't likely to be defective <cough, Oak> Larch and Doug aren't far off that cost down this way, and we've done plenty of jobs where we charge £4 a ft3 per ft produced out on site, so it stacks up.

It looks like you manage to sell decent quantities of your hardwoods at a time, which is great. It's all too easy to spend hours dismantling the yard for someone to spend £20 (although I'm sure you get that as well!).

W

• 3 weeks later...
OK, fair enough I see where you are coming from. It's easy cutting without any real complication, with timber that isn't likely to be defective <cough, Oak> Larch and Doug aren't far off that cost down this way, and we've done plenty of jobs where we charge £4 a ft3 per ft produced out on site, so it stacks up.

It looks like you manage to sell decent quantities of your hardwoods at a time, which is great. It's all too easy to spend hours dismantling the yard for someone to spend £20 (although I'm sure you get that as well!).

W

I find oak to be the most disappointing of all timbers. It's rare to find a truly excellent log, and quite often a seemingly innocent butt will hide untold horrors!

About £4 a cubic foot is all I make on softwood through sawing, but when you can easily bang out 120-180 cube on a day, it's OK money. A bit tedious sometimes, but worth always having a stock of logs in.