Stihl 038

mickdundee

Not noticed this model number ever get a mention on here. It's what I bought off eBay for own use firewood. 18" bar Too big most the time but it was one of those bids you don't think you're gonna win haha and to me a saw is a saw.

What are people's opinion of these and what sort of work were they intended for. I've had mine a couple of years now. Don't intend to change it just curious

Thanks, Mick

038 is a 90s generation saw similar to my 039 farm boss which is basically bomb proof ,think they did a magnum version too in the states,good all-round 72cc saw .

My farmboss I too picked up of e-bay 9years ago for £120 and that too was mint ...bargain ,owes me nothing and has cut some hefty trees

Very little plastic too hence there weight,I still run by farmboss and a mint 1996 025 which is still my favourite saw of all I own .

Ste

038AV super farmboss is the full name of mine. Bit of a mouthful. But the farmboss part did make me think it would be a fairly all purpose and tough kind of saw. It's older than I realised if it's from the 90's but hopefully it'll have a few more year left in it

Just carry on using good quality 2stroke oil ie sthil and she will carry on for years,equivalent saw now will set you back 400 to 600 notes new .

Ste

• 3 months later...

I was looking for something like that but they don't seem to come up round here and I found a Stihl 036 which I bought and have just had it running. I think it has an 18" bar on and it needs some clutch springs and a chain and probably a new choke lever/stop switch. I need to find some wood to try it out on now.

The 038 super is a larger bore than standard. 66cc I believe.

I owned one, and it was great. Couldn't kill the thing, and I did try. Heavy lump and not fast, but it'll pull an 18" bar all day long. Proper mule of a saw.

I now own this one ^ tis a heavy old lump but does the job, not as fast as a newer saw but chances are will still be goin when most new saws are in a skip, also run a 1986 stihl 028 which I've had from new which has done loads of work and taken loads of abuse and is still capable of a good days work.