F8 Revolver

DrewB

was'nt too sure what was going on mate. But i love that people are still coming out with new ways to use gear. I like the look of some of these SRT to dbrt ideas. That one you mentioned in another thread with the alpine butterfly at the crotch seems a bit more straightforward. Personally dont have enough bling to be trying this stuff out. But will get there one day.

I didn't fully understand that, Drew, but it looked pretty good. If that makes sense?

Very smooth movement, and there must have been a ferocious amount of friction for that re-ascent, which he made look easy.

Got to be worth a play.

It is a single rope with the figure of eight taking some of the friction so it isn't all on the hitch, good thing about that system is theres no frction at all from the rope going round branches, because the rope isn't moving.

Whereas if you use double rope and wrap round one branch the friction created makes it hard work.

Good idea though

Thanks for posting that drew i've seen the fig 8 on the buzz and tried it myself, did'nt like it for limb walks thoughits hard work getting back in from the tippy tips of branches as your using all your strength to pull yourself in and hold position with your arms whilst tending slack, a doubled line gives you some advantage and you pull your self in if that makes sense.

Still i can see some advantages in there like Dean pointed out no friction from diverting your line round branches, yet i always like to work a tree in a methodical way so i always have the best/lowest rope angle. I reckon i could use it on say major dead wooding the inner crown on some jobs, as its very simple idea, especially like the way you can footlock up then descend!

I don't use a figure 8 just a large cambium saver ring like the ART ones which are rated.

I saw Kevin use this system in the Charlotte tree climbing comp back in April. He used it on the aerial rescue, work climb and masters. He must have put a lot of time into the practise as he made it look sweet.

It does have its advantages...as there is no friction over branches, good in the right tree and right job...like thinning or deadwooding.

Have played around with the set up using lots of different systems as the revolver doesnt fit too well in a figure 8...casusing a lot of wear and replacments! Also from a comp point of view i dont know how it would go down at the worlds???

It is tricky coming in on bendy branch walks, and not as easy to keep weight off the limb like your normal friction hitch system...you can see from the video that kevin keeps quite a bit of weight and balancing when advancing the system when limb walking.

I will keep playing with it as i can definatly see uses in the future as it develops.