Billy no mates keen to exploit SRT...

:blushing:

Good afternoon all.

Fed up with lots of friction and getting tangled in my drt and more often than not my cambium saver getting stuck I have decided to transition immediately over to SRT.

Points that attract me to SRT (from what I can gather)

1. Fire my throw line into a suitable crotch and then send up main line and tie off as a base anchor at bottom of tree.

2. No more cambium savers getting stuck at the end of a climb.

3. System is quicker than drt to set up whilst at a clients.

4. Natural use of branch for re-directs.

5. Father in law is purchasing a Big shot for me to further exploit SRT?

Points I do not like

1. I am Billy no mates so have nobody else to bounce ideas off!

2. More shinny things = more nagging from wife!

So I have just ordered a wrope wrench and the "tether" from my local shop which is due to arrive in the next two weeks.

Questions ?

1. How long to "adapt" to srt?

2. Additional equipment required?

Current set up...

Tachyon 45m rope, 11.5mm

CElanyard

Treemotion harness

Petzl pantin.

Petzl ZigZag

Summary.

Wrope wrench and "tether" on order.

What other equipment do I require please?

Any further top tips greatly welcomed.

Researching arbtalk like crazy as I am rather new to this industry and other projects include an extremely steep rigging learning curve!

Thank you in advance

Greg

Edited by EnglishSheep

Climb the rope not the tree..(if that makes sense)It feels weird at first climbing 1:1 but keep at it,it takes time..No need to base tie all the time(don't on a removal)

No every tree is suited to srt if your a beginner,I still use Drt.

Have fun learning :)

Thank you the reply.

Hmm ok, I am sure I will appreciate "climb the rope" when I finally get set up?

So with my current set up of a rope, zigzag, and foot clip by the addition of the wrope wrench and tether I should be good to go?

May I ask why or in which situations you would use/climb drt as I thought once you have mastered climbing the rope and not the tree one would never go back to drt?

Why not base tie all of the time, should I sometimes anchor directly in the crown and tie in there as an example because it reduces the loading on the branch/anchor point?

Or

Base anchor at another tree/secure point with an additional rope and then use one rope as the false crutch at the top of the tree and attach a second line as either drt or SRT whilst I navigate the tree for reductions/dead wooding tidying etc?

Thank you very much in advance and my apologies if you are all rolling your eyes thinking "argh another newbie and his 101 questions"!!!!!!:confused1:

Regards

Greg

Edited by EnglishSheep

I would recommend getting a HAAS "knee" ascender. Helps you rely more on your legs than arms. Much more economy of movement. Than say a handled ascender with a footloop. I climbed on tachyon SRT daily for a long time, and really enjoyed it. I think it's a great rope, especially if you think you will switch over to ddrt occasionally.

I think it will take about six months to a year to "adapt" fully. You will find base and canopy anchors to be case specific. The more you climb, the more you will figure out when each is more appropriate.

I know a bunch of people who go back and forth between ddrt and SRT. I do not. I think there are cases where SRT is more efficient, and cases where it is a toss up. I prefer to just SRT. But that is totally just my preference.

Hi Negundo,

Great reply thank you.

I am a amazed at that knee ascender!

I think it will be a case of trial and error learning how to climb SRT and I accept that anchors shall be utilised on a case by case basis. (I need to learn and experiance which anchor for what situation suits better)?!

Hi Joe.

Yes the ZigZag is not officially accepted for SRT and I had this warning given to me at the shop last week when I ordered the WW.

It was on this forum that gave me the idea to experiment with the WW and zigzag. I really want to use the zigzag as it is only two weeks old!

If the consensus of opinion is that I should only climb SRT with out zigzag then I guess I will resort to hitch and pulley for the beginning.

You have all you need but a HAAS would be of benefit. It just makes the ascent easier, faster and means you don't need a hand ascender.

Stick with it no matter how much you may hate it at first.

I loved it straight away but found it really hard work for the first three climbs.

The thing I like most about it is no friction and redirects.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.