Transplanted apple tree

swinny

At the back end of last year i transplanted a small ish but old apple tree. Only moved it 10ft or so out of the foot print of an extension. Was fine last year, was in leaf, left it till early december, was still mild no frost etc even after transplant.

Nice root ball, well prepped hole, bit of well rotted manure knocked into soil. Staked tree nice and secure.

Customer says it has not come into leaf but has buds present... to me it should have been out in leaf ages ago!

Doubtful but has anyone ever had a tree remain dormant for the next growing season then fine the next?

I havent yet looked at the tree as ive been manic! Will be doing this week.

Or is it most likely rejected transplant?

I don't think its unknown for a tree to remain dormant, after transplanting. I'd check if the buds are actually alive.

Amending the planting hole may have caused some disparity, hydrologically, and increased the transplant shock. There's so many factors involved although moving within the same site -same soil, eases the process.

Thinking about it after re-reading your post, the buds should have had sufficient stored carbs to flush, so it may be due to root produced hormones (forget which ones) that haven't initiated the bud break yet.

I wouldn't worry too much, yet, if the buds are alive anyway. If it really is declining though you could always consider sugar solution irrigation. Still a new approach and I don't know of any trials with Malus but if it's a use it or lose it scenario it may be worth a try.