Tractor hire

Hi everyone. Ive been doing firewood for the last 3 years and I feel now may be the time to diversify a bit more. I am looking at purchasing a tractor of around 150hp for general farm contracting and possibly forestry work. Im most interested in ride maintenance such as flail mowing and extracting timber from site to trackside. I am based in leicestershire and I want to gauge interest in such a venture before I commit £££ to it! Any feedback or contracts available will be much appreciated.

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only issue you have is cross over costs. For in the woods you do want guarding which is expensive. Plus most ag machines whilst they will do the job will constantly catch party on brash and branches. If it's hedges and ride work perhaps less of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

From my personal experience forestry and agricultural contracting is really different in a lot of ways I know some people might just say surely it's the difference between a timber trailer or a grain trailer but the expensive between the 2 are quite a lot. Look at any forestry firms tractors and they are bashed about a lot, not on purpose but it's just the nature of the job but then agri tractors may be in better condition but have more hours on them. If you are having to ask the question of how much you should charge maybe you should step back a bit and take some more time to think about it. I'm not saying don't go buy a machine all I'm saying is put some real research into it and maybe think about just doing 1 or the other. I'm sure someone will come on and say I am wrong but this is just my personal opinion.

a tractor in forestry needs some sort of guarding underneath and rops as it wont last in the woods, be prepared for it to get clobbered a bit especially if your contracting, if the works your own then not so much, decent tyres a must and make sre u got plenty in the bank for those repairs of your machine