Getting my head round it!.

husqycutter

Hi, as a few of you will have read I am not a pro, but have been using a chainsaw for some 30 years now felling trees and collecting firewood on my smallholding.

I have been watching the videos of the tree climbing work with interest trying to work out the different stages, are there any good url links out there that explain how it is done.

From what I understand, you climb to the very top of the tree and hang from that point, and how does the rope not get in the bl***y way.

Hope you guys do not object to a spare time non pro taking up residence here, trust me I can use a saw(I was actually invited by Steve from the proclimber site) but I take a real interest in what you do.

the rope does get in the way! u just have to learn how to safely work around it. u pretty much got the primary fundamental down, you climb to the highest safe point you can find, and preferably as central as possible that will allow you to work as much of the tree as possible. of course theres many variables involved but that could make for a very long post!

I have a huge ash tree which, although the main trunk leans to one side, no matter which way I look at it can not work out where to start at the 30ins base as it looks pretty well balanced.

I have thought of climbing up and cutting one of the limbs off to persuade it to fall in the direction I would like it to which is on the burn bank not in the burn.

All I have at the moment is a standard safety harness and lanyard which I have used on a few occasions when I have pruned a few trees in the past for mates. Probably not the way the pro's would do it but nevertheless they were done to a satisfactory standard and I felt quite safe with the harness on.

I have thought of winching it from another tree. Any advice? might post a pic of it.

It will have be felled this year when the leaves drop as it is ugly, in the wrong place and diseased, not dead but all the limbs are disfigured.and split open.

Get Jeff Jepson's 'The Tree Climber's Companion' and/or get yourself on an nptc training course.

Even if you don't do the exam, you can get a feel for it and see if you like it without forking out for the climbing gear beforehand.

You dig? lol

pics would be good.....it might be a straight forward tree, but i'll tell you now, you wont find a responsible arborist who will tell someone with little experience how to go about doing it!! post the pics though!

Yes I do appreciate that Steve I was not wanting to know any "hands on chainsaw advice" just wondered if there was any simple safe ways to get it to land where I want it too apart from winching it to one side.

I one had someone fell a line of dead elm which did not have to fall on my neighbours land, he used his tractor to pull them on to my land but I don't think that method is suitable where this tree is.