Stihl MS211 loading up on the revs help!

Dan Forsh

Any ideas on this one fellas as I'm puzzled. Recently overhauled a, little used, MS211. Total strip down including piston out, cleaned up all put back together and seemed to be running A1, but wasn't able to try it in the cut as I just didn't have anything around at the time. Asked the guy who is buying it to try it out and report back.

After intial trial he was happy enough and paid me for it, but when he came to use it the next day it initially ran fine and then after restarting is started loading up on the revs and had to be shut down. When it came back to me initially I tried to start it a couple times and it bogged and died as I took it off the throttle lock. Then it fired, seemed to rev cleanly but then loaded up as he described. Didn't seem to respond to the throttle control at this point other than to undulate the revs a little, but it seems to be at full throttle. Shut it down fearing a massive air leak and have just vac and pressure tested it, but it's passing both of these fine. Piston looks fine through the exhaust port too.

I don't think it is anything as simple as throttle sticking as I was taking care to see how this felt when it was running and the action felt okay, nothing seemed to be sticking.

Anyone know of anything that might cause this? Beyond an air leak I can't think why it would load up like this.

I'm not overly familiar with these strato carbs, so could it be something in there?

Cheers,

Dan

I've put it back together and fired it up. Bit boggy first couple tries, but I'll put that down to the carb having been off. Seems to be running spot on again now. Tried a couple cuts in the one bit of rotten old wood I have in the garden and no problems.

The only thing I would add was that I fuelled it first as the tank was quite low and I noticed the fuel filter wasn't quite sitting on the bottom of the tank. The fuel pipe was sort of bent back on itself a bit and the filter was sitting on a bit of a sort of ledge in the tank so I flicked it down with a screwdriver. Could a combination of low fuel and the filter being in this higher position make it load up like I described? I've heard people talk of saws leaning out when low on fuel, but I've never seen it myself.

Seems fixed, but I'd rather know what I've fixed before I hand it back.

I'll be off the the wife's church yard tomorrow and find something decent to try it out on.

After reading the first one my first thought was that the throttle linkage was sticking. Going to full choke and half choke the linkage could have been getting stuck. Hence why it was not responsive on the trigger. As it was already open.

Keep trying it and if it does it again look straight into the linkage.