Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

I've been climbing for about 14 years now. I've worked for quite a few firms and in that time, I've met A LOT of guys who smoke dope. I'm not arsed about what people do in their spare time (as long as they're 'clean' by monday morning.

What I hate is blokes who puff joints at work:cussing:. The old arguements 'I climb better', 'It doesn't affect me' etc dont wash. I see it as being the same as shooting down the pub for 4 pints at lunch time :drunk: - its not on!.

Does anybody have random drugs testing done at the workplace?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree arborgrunt, I was a habitual smoker and honestly can say it never affected my output, qaulity and most of all safety!

But each individual is different.

I worked for a company where 50% smoked at work I did'nt notice any difference to the companies where no one smoked. Although I do know of exceptions to this.

It was down to a good employee who knew how to use his staff, he often said to me he could not live with himself with the thought of sending a team out where one memeber of that team could compromise his own safety and that of the team. And he knew we smoked.

One guy during the time I worked there was laid off because he just was'nt competent enough, and he did not smoke.

Safety was very important, and their safety record was impeccable.

So I disagree, but i'm sure with certain individuals it would seriously affect their ability to work safely.

And smoking weed is in no way comparable to drinking alcohol, I would never drink and work or drive, but then that does'nt bother me cause I don't drink much, 4 pints and i'd be wrecked!

For the record I quit weed in september last year, now there is no way I could smoke and work. The only difference i've noticed is slightly better short term memory, and more organised.

You gota be a total dope fiend puffin spliff addict wanting to get stoned on the job. Think theres a time and place for everything and smoking camberwell carrots whilst swinging round like demented monkeys isnt good for work output.

Plus when you forget to clip your self in or realise your hand & arms coming out of the chipper chute in lots of bits...its all abit too late.

Me being me, I dont agree with anything compulsory, gets my back up straight away. But there is a time and place for everything. I personally dont think its right for someone to turn up for work stoned, hung-over, over-tired whatever. These things can all compromise safety. If someone was to smoke a spliff during the working day, he/she should be sent home. Period. Same goes for drinking alcohol.

I'm afraid if some one turned up to work with me, and they were stoned,drugged,drunk or just not fit to work I'd refuse to work with them. Oh and I've done it! I've rung the gaffer and said I wouldn't work with a tractor driver.

At the end of the day I go to work to earn money and come home in one piece, no one is going to compromise my personal safety in the workplace.

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to condone anything, anykind of drug and work can be a bad mix, just expressing my opinions as an ex dope fiend!

And there is a good reason why I quit.

When I was smokin weed like cigarettes the only spliff that got me stoned was the one in the morning, after that the effects were mild and wore off in half an hour.

Smoking like I did was stupid imo thats why I quit, 10 years of habitual smoking just got boring for me and enough was enough.

I would never swing round the tree with a spliff thats just stupid, and even when I did smoke I thought that was stupid.

What was even more stupid is that I kept my toking ways hidden from most employers, I don't think anyone noticed and I was always in demand for being such a hard worker.

The effects for me at the time were very mild, now if I even smoked a tiny pinch i'd be totally unable to work.

Each to his own, I don't ever want to smoke weed like I used to, i'm just happy having a tiny pinch every couple of months and enjoying it.

I want to stress i'm not promoting toking at work, its just stupid!

In all my years of doing dangerous work even oxy-acetalene demolition and rigging I never ever had an accident.

Maybe I was lucky, but I personally think it has more to do with your mindset and apptitude.

I'm just as likely now to injure myself through stupidity or plain accident as I was when I smoked, in my humble opinion.

people who smoke all the time just think they arent affected...in actual fact they think they are not affected because they need to be stoned just to feel "normal" again, anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. im speaking from experience too.

personally id walk off site now before working with someone doing drugs.