anyone want to do recreational/practice climbing London&surrounding?

pertho_mannaz

Greetings to everyone, I am new on this forum.

I am a CS30,31 and 38 ticket holder who finished NC Arboriculture at college last springtime. I did a bit of casual work afterwards and am now dealing with the reality of the recession biting into the arb industry. Work is scarce so I want to get out there and practice, practice, practice. Already I'm doing some woodland conservation work in north-east london... keeping my hand in but alas no hardcore arb work which is left to contractors rather than voulenteers.

so.... anyone in london or the home counties have some time on their hands? any nice trees near you which you always wanted to climb? want to refresh and hone your ariel rescue skills? Get in touch.

Currently I have my own helmet and harness, no rope or carabiners but i could be persuaded to acquire these; i'm sure something can be worked out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

hello pertho

i live in the home counties and have plenty of good trees near me to climb. currently waiting to move to another country so keen for the climbs.

got plenty of spare gear some has to go so im sure if u need bits i can sort u them out at a good price. pm me your mobile number and we can arrange a meet up.

jarnii

pertho -

Are you looking for a job in Arb as a climber??

Just off the top of my head.... Bartletts

If you're hungry for work, and you dont mind working hard i'm almost certain they would have something for you, even if it was grounding for a start.

Good friend of mine works for them as a consultant -seem a reasonable bunch...dont know what anyone elses experiences are with them, but theyre a big company and have allot of LA work.

Matt

matt/highland.. thanks for the tip. the problem i'm finding is that the course i did only covered climbing up to cs38. firms want climbers to have cs39 for obvious reasons. the question is how would one get the relevant experience climbing to progress to using a chainsaw in the tree? an arborist i know said "it's a bit of a catch 22". one way would be working in a smaller firm where the lead climber/groundsman roles are less clearly defined, where they'd be prepared to let the new boy do the occasional climb. i was in fact in that situation working casual for a friend of a friend, alas the economic downturn has seen my services become surplus to his requirements in this context; so currently i'm looking for any work, even if it's just groundy or basic forestry. anyway, thanks for the encouragement... positive mental attitiude is required on my part methinks.

Hi pertho,

I'm new to the arb thing, I'm doing my CS30 and 31 and some other bits at college but I don't get much climbing experience at the moment. I really want to do some recreational climbing but haven't found anyone local who wants to so I'd definitely be up for that if people don't mind me being a novice? I'm just North of London :001_smile:

Pertho

For my sins I work for Bartletts. When I joined I didn't have my cs38 at the time and after a year and a half with them I finaly got it. Hopefully I will be doing cs39 soon. Essentially I am a groundsman/driver for them and I do get to climb. Only problem is, the climber I ground for is pretty good in the tree (crap as a groundsman though). It may be worth giving them a call. Don't quote me on this but I think the Beaconsfield office is looking for staff. You never know until you ask!