Any help/tips/advice for working on a leaning pole?

will.morris

Hi all.

Had to take down an ash at work today and I have to be honest I struggled when chogging down as the stem was on a big lean. I tried standing on top of the stem (felt like I was going to gaff out and that the strop wasn't going to hold me), sideways on (too awkward) but ended up doubling up my strop and standing on the underside of the stem. I got the stem down but it wasn't particularly comfortable and I felt at risk from the pieces coming down on top of me. I'm on a 3month probation period here in NZ so I really didn't want to say I couldn't do it, hence I battled through :001_tt2:

Just wondered if there is a different way to deal with leaning poles or if they are just a pig to do!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done first of all Will for battling through!..they are a pig,but be wary when working underneath a leaner as it,s not as safe as on top. i always loosen my flip line a bit more than usual so i can sit back more to compensate and kick my spurs in a bit harder or "straddle " using my knees aswell. Just take more time in getting a good work position...keep up the good work bro! Stay safe:001_smile:

Cool thanks guys! It didn't feel very safe underneath but I did it on the basis that I couldn't really slip from that position. The sections were pretty small so probs wouldn't have hurt me badly but it still didn't feel like good practice. Weirdly its not something I've had to do before, I've worked on leaning poles but I've always had an anchor on a neighboring limb/tree. Had to get through it, as tempting as it was just to bosh off lumps but it was right next to a fragile bus sign/pavement. Rigging would have been a bit overkill and I would have had to spend even longer in some questional work positions :001_tt2:

Pegs were'nt an option unfortunately because it was towards the lower end of the tree before where the first branches were.

The thought of slipping with a top handle 1/2ft from my chest seemed more concerning than a lump landing on me but have learnt from this so cheers :thumbup:

Good advice above dude. If its a real serious leaner it straddle it. If the lean is less severe I have one spike low and and one high with my knee sometimes wedged inside the pole belt or wrapped around the tree with my line choked off. Its always awkward, stay away from the underside. :)

Good on you for tackling it I know what it's like working for someone new :thumbup1:

I tend to lengthen my strop and sit back as much as possible and use a bigger bar if needs must to compensate for the extra distance, works for me but might not for others