ifor tipper etc

Matthew Storrs

Im after some points on tipping trailers, i will be buying new and until recently i have been set on the atlas tipper, howerver i have read that the trailer frame is made in china?? and this has got me thinking of other makes, does anyone know if they galvanise the atlas in UK or is that done in china too and if so what is the quality of galvanising.

I currently have an Ifor 2009 flatbed which i am impressed with bar a few rivets coming loose but I see Ifor are bringing out a 2012 new tipper which has a higher payload than the atlas.

I am quite keen to stay with Ifor because dealers are near me and parts are pletifull but have heard that there quality control has slipped compared to their older models.

Any thoughts on either models? If someone can convince me of either model would be good as i keep changing my mind!

thanks, matt

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 12x6 ifor tipper and it's one of the most useful bits of kit in the yard. It'll carry as much as you can get in it (put the cage on and fill it to the top with beech rings and it loves it!). If you take the sides and headboard off you can put a landy 110 on it (which is handy as they keep breaking down). It might be a bit overloaded at times but it looks right and nothing ever breaks. I wouldn't personally buy any trailer second hand - you can throw 1000 quid at new tyres/brakes/bearings etc if you're unlucky. I don't know anything about the atlas trailers, but I do know that ifor Williams hold their money very well for when you come to swap it for a new one (which you should do before it needs tyres/brakes/bearings).

I have a 12x6 ifor tipper with cage sides and it's superb. I had it horribly overloaded the other day with 8 large yew logs and it was fine. Managed to bend the rear axle (actually not my fault!) and it hydraulically pressed straight without any issue. Build like a tank!

hmm, just been thumbing through other threads on the subject, it seems they are all pretty good really I suppose it comes down to where I can get the best price and how conveniant the dealer is.

On the Ifor williams does it have a grease nipple on the tipping pivots like the Atlas?

Brian james trailers also look good as they sit at the same height as a normal flatbed, but they are the 5k plus for the full works (ramps/mesh sides etc) which I wouldn't mind paying if they really were the cream of the crop. they don't have leaf springs either:sneaky2:

I have a 12x6 ifor tipper with cage sides and it's superb. I had it horribly overloaded the other day with 8 large yew logs and it was fine. Managed to bend the rear axle (actually not my fault!) and it hydraulically pressed straight without any issue. Build like a tank!

like mine and only snapped one spring hanger from jack-knifing into drive fully loaded.

597660855a606_cameramemory318.jpg.531319e65d27e3c13e90a8a29ae5a85f.jpg

did ifor make the solid sides up or did you do it yourself?

Came with mesh sides, ground them off, (pig-of-a-job). Laser cut 3mm alloy so each side lifts off as norm. built a frame on top again so it lifts off.

The roof acts as stablisation so you dont need to use tail section and its still rigid.

597660865185e_cameramemory319.jpg.16746532c1b99ab372790143a5d0654e.jpg