Windsor

David Humphries

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oak video'd at 1.04-1.38 is quoted by some sources as being c1300 years old - oldest one in England/UK/Europe?

A simply stunning tree :thumbup1:

haven't seen it for a couple of years, but it still appears to be functioning pretty well.

Have you had the oportunity to see it?

DSC00916.JPG.da5ea7f2c9c018294011d5afb3c77668.JPG

DSC00915.JPG.b83ddb7ee3db72223ec8dd66cd035af9.JPG

DSC00903.jpg.e294c710a45676f9df519dd85343974d.jpg

DSC00917.JPG.253518d101c159b6f27d60417dd211ed.JPG

DSC00918.JPG.d40512e2df4d075e27ea300d53f4987f.JPG

erm, you could say that! I lived in the cottage next to it for 36 years.

nice pictures BTW - although there's been some changes to the ground layout around the tree's perimeter in recent months. Ted G will give you all the gen if he hasn't spoken to you already about it.

Edited by lowerforest

I can only offer personal (rather than professional) examples and information. I've been in awe of this tree since the day in 1966 my family moved into the house alongside. I had simply never seen a tree this large in diameter, nor one that appeared so 'old'!

The section that has fallen down succumbed c1976 - possibly drought? HM The Queen saw it and ordered it to be propped-up. The other propped tree in the youtube video is just up the road from this one and was also propped-up with wooden poles around 1978, and has since received nice (?) new metal supports, (also available to view in a Ted G youtube production, btw)

In the time I have known it, seed production has been scant at best, until last Autumn. The most acorns I had managed to collect (in over 20 years of trying) was six. Last Autumn I collected around 1000, c550 of which have now been sown in open, protected ground nearby, along with another 400 in 19cm pots at my home. A small sample of acorns has also gone to another home, and I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing of their progress in due course. Our family has a small tree (with a marker plaque) planted opposite this oak - guess where the seed acorn came from??

Over the years, the tree has been the subject of much activity from those associated with the coleoptera of Windsor, and there are regular attempts at capturing/collating samples from the central core of the tree by means of small 'beetle traps', some examples of these insects being in the very rare/unique class, I understand.

The tree has been subjected to much wear and tear in former years, including a car crashing into it, but I have no recollection of lightning strike, which has accounted for a couple of large neighbouring oaks in the last 30 years. I cannot recall any incidents of chainsaw/arb work being undertaken on this tree, except for the clearing-up of debris following the section fall and the positioning of the support posts.

Even though the tree is situated in a private area of the Forest, it was not unusual to see groups of people clambering around inside the core and attempting to scale its branches. Consequently, the erosion of the central core, and particularly the fallen section, has been artificially enhanced somewhat, I would suspect. Fortunately, this 'clambering activity' has almost ceased - today's visitors seem to understand and respect it far more than in past times - although I have seen the odd 1 or 2 incidents during my regular return visits in the last 10 years.

There have recently been moves made to protect the tree from unwanted 'traffic' by means of placing large trunk lengths of Turkey Oak around the perimeter in anticipation of preparing the area around the base with mulch, and possibly replacement (metal) supports, as per the top-of-the-road tree.

I have only occasionally noticed any large fungal growths on this tree, although I admit to having very little knowledge on this subject! I shall have a closer look later this week and see what's there - may even get a few photos for you to look at.

There was once another veteran oak further up the road, which was a well known landmark during the 18th/19th centuries. It was known as 'William the Conqueror', and I did get to see it in a far more complete state than it is today. Even though legend/history advises that the Conqueror was the oldest & biggest oak in the Forest, I would say that this one has always been a larger specimen. Only a small stub of the Conqueror now remains, although it is tagged and recorded.

Thats all I can think of at the moment - will add more if it comes to mind.