Unicender Mod

D Mc

I thought this might be of interest to any of you that are using the Uni.

The open L on the Uni has always been a problem in the fact that it does not capture the rope which makes it unreliable for slack tending. The tail can also find its way on top of the L and jam.

What the picture shows is the short side of the L drilled and tapped to accept a shoulder bolt with its head removed, sized to allow a 10mm opening. This space is large enough to squeeze the rope through so it is still mid-line attachable but small enough that it captures the rope during normal use.

I have been using this for awhile now and it greatly improves the usability of this tool.

Dave

Uni.jpg

Edited by D Mc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably you climb SRT. If so, why did you choose a Unicender and do you use a Rope Wrench above it?

I'm looking at SRT kit now and like the Uni design as it looks perfect for changing between DRT and SRT while in the tree. Although I suppose the same is true of a Lockjack and Hitch climber.

I'm really into the 'Rope Wrench Feedback' thread now.

Any thoughts?

Loving my unicender, yes I use it SRT on it's own because that's all you need! I have used it a couple of times ddrt when I've been climbing into crappy conifers and need to do change overs every 5 seconds! It self tends in ddrt but yo be honest it's much better SRT.

Loving my unicender, yes I use it SRT on it's own because that's all you need! I have used it a couple of times ddrt when I've been climbing into crappy conifers and need to do change overs every 5 seconds! It self tends in ddrt but yo be honest it's much better SRT.

So do you not need a rw above the uni for srt?

Interesting. Is that because there is enough friction created by the 'bars' on the Uni against the rope to do the job alone?

I may be wrong but I think that would simplify the set up, less gear on the line.

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care
Realised my second question was irrelevant.