Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Climbers talk Discuss the latest tree climbing gear and techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-01-12   #41 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Re: The NEW skylotec passo-pl karabiner whats your view???

Quote:
Originally Posted by treequip View Post
It can’t fail if it operates within its parameters. It also didn’t fail if the inspector said it should only be used for “only to be used for tool attachment”.
Yes but apparently it did fail as a PPE attachment but was passed as a tool attachment, it would be nice to know why it failed as a PPE attachment, it's pretty confusing, if the product was faulty in some way then it should have failed altogether and been taken out of service, if however it had failed for some other reason then it would be good to know that other reason.

Last edited by High Scale; 18-01-12 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 18-01-12   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Scale View Post
Yes but apparently it did fail as a PPE attachment but was passed as a tool attachment, it would be nice to know why it failed as a PPE attachment, it's pretty confusing, if the product was faulty in some way then it should have failed altogether and been taken out of service, if however it had failed for some other reason then it would be good to know that other reason.
Well there is the key word, neither of us know for sure but as a LOLER inspector I can tell you that it either passes or fails, what use you put it to is your business.

Anything else is just advice
Old 18-01-12   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009

After seeing the carabiner, I think it's good tht the loler guy failed it for ppe, as I see it it's definitely not 3 actions to open it. It's a good carabiner just not a 3 action opening irrespective what it's been certified too. Just my 2 cents...
Old 18-01-12   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

nope, I will never buy one, period, ever.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour
Old 19-01-12   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Scale View Post
My query was, and still is, WHY it had not been passed as fit for purpose for precisely those reasons in High Scale's reply.
Still - I'd like to know who it was 'failed' the item & get the opinion of an experienced assessor to see if there is more to this than just a knee-jerk reaction to summat a bit different.
I swear if it was up to some folk out there we'd still be on 3-strand and using Danarms - I wonder if the inertia chain-brake was viewed with suspicion and ridicule when it was first launched.
Old 20-01-12   #46 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Having just read this thread from start to finish for the first time I'd just like to ask out of pure interest:-

Of those climbers that would refuse to use this biner out of concern of the possibility of friction causing accidental opening, how many use four way biners?

I suspect I already know the answer. Which is odd really 'cos if accidental opening was a real risk worth worrying about then you'd think that you'd want to reduce the probability as low as possible? Right?
Old 20-01-12   #47 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadryad View Post
nope, I will never buy one, period, ever.
I'd buy one just to scare children with.
Old 20-01-12   #48 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

just as a reference this is part of the user instructions for the Pinchlock.
Name:  karabiner_5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 15-07-12   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Brought one of these on Friday...is a real nice looking karabiner....I thought it would be perfect for side strop attachment... although now I have it...I would also consider one for attaching the static end of a main line....

However will see how it fairs in the real world.
Old 15-07-12   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

I may be missing the point (I apologize I.was.up.late) but the video shows a floor that the rope could with out human intervention open the gate.
Yes yes I completely understand the the karb would normally be loaded so the chance of a sliced eye sliding down the gate is debatable ???
Plus your more traditional karbs the barrel of the gate impedes that scenario so what.
Just my opinion wouldn't personaly have it on my climbing line but for saw lanyard yer ok