body thrusting with vt?

bill

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother, mate. Use your usual friction knot if there's a lot of body thrusting.

Vt is good, but it helps if you have a high anchor and a climbing frame style tree to use it in. then you can 'free climb' while tending slack with one hand. It's much better for working the tree, so switch over once you get high up, to start with. For Christ's sake, make sure it's tied, dressed and set properly, though, and try it in a low tree first

There is a way to use it for ascent, but I've only just sussed it and I'm off to bed, now :)

I find the best way is body thrust as normal but take 3-4 long pulls before tending the slack whilst holding your weight with one hand and pulling it through the slack tending pulley with the other..thats why its essential to use a pulley with this set up,believe me after a while its just as quick if not quicker as you can take bigger pulls........its all getting used to.

watch some of steves vids on u tube or some compatition climbing vids on tree worker (i think theres some?)

I find the best way is body thrust as normal but take 3-4 long pulls before tending the slack whilst holding your weight with one hand and pulling it through the slack tending pulley with the other..thats why its essential to use a pulley with this set up,believe me after a while its just as quick if not quicker as you can take bigger pulls........its all getting used to.

watch some of steves vids on u tube or some compatition climbing vids on tree worker (i think theres some?)

If you apply a way to extend your hitch out ( there are a number of ways of doing this) then you can pull hand over hand beneath your hitch and the slack is tended automatically!!!

I have never had a problem body thrusting with the VT. Stu's idea about lengthening the cord is great because then you would keep your hands under the hitch just like a tautline or blakes. I usually do what Matty said and take 5 or so pulls and then readjust the slack.

I have had the VT not grab the rope right away and maybe slip a little. It doesn't happen often and if you are paying attention then you will be just fine.

If you apply a way to extend your hitch out ( there are a number of ways of doing this) then you can pull hand over hand beneath your hitch and the slack is tended automatically!!!

Yep - I have tried this and it works a treat. The way I was shown is to tie a marlin spike hitch in the working end of the rope and then clip the VT and pulley in to that with a spare biner, thereby extending it all away from your body so you can pull hand over hand behind the hitch and up you go!