Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Climbers talk Discuss the latest tree climbing gear and techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-11   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

art cocoon 2 and pulley saver??

Im just wondering, is it legit use to swap the tape sling in an art cocoon pulley for the prussik and put it into a pulley saver scenario?

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour
Old 05-05-11   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010

Re: art cocoon 2 and pulley saver??

Don't see why not Seems like it should work fine Hama. Did a bit of exploring at Virgina Water the other day. Some crackers there
Old 05-05-11   #3 (permalink)

cool! get some phots!

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

Old 05-05-11   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadryad View Post
cool! get some phots!
Spontaneous day, classically forgot the camera. Anyway I will stop derailing your thread now!

Ropeguide is awesome! I thought a cambium saver was good. This Pinto is insane! Not tried a cocoon but I'm sure old snake was using his cocoon with a hitch cord on his homemade ropeguides!
Old 05-05-11   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012

Here one I did. Used the Sirius loop instead.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-11   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rule View Post
Here one I did. Used the Sirius loop instead.
I like the smooooooth edges on the cocoon, bet that is working a treat for you rich

is the sirius one of the "accepted" alternatives?

Old 06-05-11   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009

pretty sure any rated hitch cord is ok tony. ive got 6mm globe on my one-its tiny.
Old 06-05-11   #8 (permalink)

I don't get it. The Cocoon is a friction saver yes? But can you retrieve it when on the ground in the same manner as a cambium saver?
It looks like an awfully heavy and expensive piece of kit to be free falling from a tree!

Maybe I'm missing the point. Sorry if I'm being thick.
Old 06-05-11   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as majestic

throw line retrieval should always be done when removing and rope guide with pulley or cocoon, and guaranteed not to get stuck either mate.
Old 06-05-11   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

You can use a ART double snapper or just clip a throwline to the eye or the retrieval shackle and lower it out mate. Or simply take it out before you descend.

"Untroubling, and Untroubled where I lie, The Grass below, above the Vaulted Sky"

"Talk about me, laugh about me, cry about me, nail me to the cross, I'll be a martyr for the hated, the weak, the ugly, the lost."