Climb this?

Peter

Would you climb this tree?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you climb this tree?

• Get up there you pansy!
    • Lets find another way.....

Here is the stump from a tree I did today. I was just putting the trees on the deck as quickly as possible, and leaving all the mess for someone else to clean up. Most of them I spiked about half to two thirds of the way up and then knocked the tops out.

When I started spiking up this one, it became apparent that there was a pretty big cavity, as you can see from the pic.

So, would you have climbed it, how would you have done it bearing in mind that there were ten of these to be done.

No rigging was necessary, there was a reasonable drop zone between some retention trees and a bowling green.

5976536674c2f_lombardystump.jpg.2dcd49903b07d3fed94ba9e7385c7b28.jpg

i've climbed things that bad before, but no two trees are the same so its hard to say if i would have climbed that one. But if it was streight and had'nt moved or split recently and i was only felling the top out then probably yes.

Difficult not being there and seeing it for myself, but think i would have cut it at the ground.

Some may recall i did a chestnut similar a few weeks back- just knocked some side limbs off then clear felled. Probably similar situation.

A tree often "feels" different once you get into it compared to viewing off the ground.

How long before you tell us what you did peter?

Hmmm tricky one, very dependent on the abilities of the climber as well. There are some people I would not ask to climb anything like this, yet others who would just push on to get the job done. For this reason I voted "lets find another way". Whether it involves a Mewp, or a fell. Not being a climber myself, I aint qualified to make the call.

I've been up Freeman Maples on removals that I actually driven my spur clean through. Talk about thinking you're about to die!

As for this tree you posted,, sure, why not. It's got way more wood holding it together than some I've been up....

Now if it was a Cotton Wood, not a chance!