making up a lanyard

ecolojim

right,

want to sort myself out a 5m lanyard

not seeing many of these ready done, so I thought id put one together myself.

so 5m of half inch rope... can anyone suggest a fairly stiff one? (comparable to others)

now, what to do about its termination? I would like to have an eye on the end whether spliced or stitched and have a snaphook on the end.

Now i realise I could have the rope spliced around the eye of the snaphook, but if i were to buy a ready spliced length of rope, could I use a PPE certified maillon to connect the two?

a 5m new england split tail that would be ideal for the job costs nearly 30 quid, making by my reckoning the splice about 20 of those.

ive no problem with tying the rope onto the snaphook but I personally think it looks a bit untidy and cluttered. Id prefer to keep my climbing and positioning systems as 'clean' and simple as possible.

whether I adjust with prusik or a grab is as yet undecided but not as important.

all input greatfully received

Jim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm just did some measuring. to put a spliced eye on the rope i lose 28 inches, to tie a double fisherman's on the end I lose 18 inches, but for a stitched eye i would only lose about 5inches

anybody know of anywhere that does either a 5m length with a stitched eye, or where I can get a stitched eye done?

for my climbing lanyard i used the end of a climbing line that got nicked with the saw half way down so i made it into two smaller section for smaller trees (luckily got nicked at about half way). it has an spliced eye in it already then put a figure of 8 knot in the other end for termination. i just use a prussic loop on it for the adjustment

trees unlimited near me do something similar to what I want to achieve but wonder if i can do it slightly more to my liking.

adjust.jpg

Adjustable Lanyard complete with 4mt length of Industrial 11 ml rope, snaphook, prussik pulley and attachment Biner. £35.00

seems good value to me, but i wonder if I can create the same with half inch rope, a nice tidy eye onto the snaphook and 5m

A splice is tidy, but it will add £15-20 to the overall cost. A double fishermans knot is pretty tidy and free.

I like the 11mm static for a lanyard, it's light and hardwearing but half inch will do just as well.

i personally thought half inch would be nicer to handle. my grillon is probably loaded with 11mm im guessing.

hmm... £15-20 quid explains the price of a 5m NE split tail vs the cost of the rope alone, but a split tail such as that wouldnt be suitable anyway i take it due to its dynamic nature?

should I be looking at something like a static kernmantle or something like that?

Split tail is fine, NE Hi-Vee is semi static, not dynamic. Diameter is not as important with a lanyard, you aren't going to ascend on it so I dont think the smaller size would really notice.

Having said that, I climb on 11mm and I'm changing my lanyard to 10mm cord as soon as my Trango cinch arrives.

Yes, the line in a grillion is 11mm static. The benefits are, its cheap, abrasion resistant, and lightweight.

I wouldnt spend too much on trying to get the perfect lanyard right now, you'll be gutted if you nick it with a silky on the first day!