throwbag technique and cambium saver setting

ecolojim

apologies if this makes no sense. cross-posted from another forum

hopefully you can help me with this.

ive spent all morning practising with my throwbag and getting what i feel is quite pleasingly accurate with it. I can set my throwline over a nice highcrotch suitable for a TIP that will allow me to move about a large proportion of the tree using the odd redirect etc.

however, try as i might, there's always stuff in between the two sides of my throwline (where it goes up and where it comes down. on a low limb its not such a problem, i can trim the small stuff away with my pole saw. but we're talking maybe 40 odd feet up for this TIP and when i try to deploy my cambium saver, i end up with a loop running between the desired TIP and whatever it is that's got in the way. I do apologise if this is difficult to follow. It strikes me that the methods in the TCC apply well to a tree without a single twig growing off the trunk, or perhaps a pole with a tbar at the top.

if i had my throwline either side of a sizeable lower limb below the crotch i want, i throw it over that limb to get both the same side, but it's the smaller brashy stuff further up that's causing me problems.

is there a method to this or am i resigned to the method of moving up one limb at a time and continually advancing my TIP?

am I being daft here? am i trying to do something that just cant be done in these scenarios?

is achieving a single TIP straight away, the ever-elusive holy grail?

sorry for the super-rookie question, but that's what i am, a rookie

Jim

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve beat me to the answer.

Isolating your TIP is an art form for sure.

Try thinking outside the box. Like Steve said, use both ends of your throwline.

Sometimes in brushy stuff it is good to use a real heavy thowbag.

If the throw line is over your desired TIP, but also over some lighter twiggy stuff, it can help to run your climbing line up and use the climb line to break the twiggy stuff.

If your throwline is not seated within the crotch you like but out a ways, it is easier to flip the climb line instead of trying to flip the throw line.

Ever use the stick trick to flip your climb line into a crotch?

If the climb line is out a ways on a branch and you need to seat it into the branch crotch, you get a stick tie the climb line onto the end of it, hold the climb line and the stick at the other end and flip the rope using the stick to help you get a good strong flip. Using the stick trick you can get a loop running up the rope very high. I have flipped my climb line into a crotch from about 60 feet up!

Sorry I dont have a picture of it.

This concept is borrowed from the Australian aborigine and Aztek spear thrower trick. Here are a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Get-Altenative-Fuels-45078.shtml

now how stupid do i feel lol. yeah you're right of course steve, that will certainly help in a number of situations indeed. in fact i could probably do it by simply switching the end that my current single throwbag is on.

thanks

I thought of a couple of other tricks.

When throwing into bushy canopies, it is hard to make the throwbag shoot directly into the small target area because when you toss the throwbag, it has to arch into the tree. As the throwbag flies it gets hung up on the twiggy stuff.

But if you use a big shot, the throwbag travels in a direct line to the target. Only thing is, with a big shot most often you end up over shooting the target.

Ever shoot a line with the big shot and have the throw bag go over the target limb perfectly but then keep traveling into the next neighborhood?

Another trick is if you throw your throw bag over a limb which is lower and under the limb you want, you can flip the throwbag up and over the limb above.

Hope this makes sense and remember:

You get it on the first shot, or the 15th shot. Visualize your target in your mind, get into the zen of it. IF you just cannot hit your target, pick another one lower down. Or move to another position and try to hit your target from a different angle.

Often it is better to just get a line set and start climbing than to spend an hour attempting to hit the perfect target.

I have spent so much time before trying to hit the perfect target that by the time I do get it, it is lunch time and no work was done.

my throwline is this purple marlow braided stuff. i kept braking it when it was going the wrong way with my bare hand earlier, and then thinking whoops, thats gonna hurt, but it never once burnt me. good line methinks. plus its bloomin strong!