Rope access!

Nikk

Hi all, been watching various videos you guys have been putting on you tube, when you use the rope to pull yourself up the tree, do you wear something on your boots to assist the access up the tree?

Sorry if it seems a daft question.

Getting itchy feet whilst I recover from my operation and save my money, out of curiosity would attending say a climbing wall in doors give me any help on how and what is used in the tree surgeon job! Rope and rigging kit ? If it is called this?

Would it be beneficial or should I wait ?

Cheers Nick Newbie

The gadgets your refering to that we put on our feet (ankles actually) are called ascenders.There are many available for different climbing set ups.

The most common are foot ascenders,petzl pantin and the ct quickstep are the 2 ive used and probably the most common.Climbing ropes is made a hellva lot easier by utilizing the biggest groups of muscles in the body ie your legs.

A climb wall is a pretty good way of gettin your body used to being used in a climbing discipline,there are obvious differences in tree/rock or wall climbing but it will help your body get stronger and get you fitter.

Rock climbers climb rocks and use ropes as a back up incase they fall where as tree surgeons mostly climb ropes or climb around branches in the canopy.

It sort of like training for football by doing rugby...some of it is transfereable but big differences.

Any kind of fitness is good so id say why not.

Im not sure what your refering too by saying rope and rigging kit though.Can you explain a bit better mate

I'd wait until you attend the course Nick.

There's different ways of ascending a tree with a rope and harness.

The simplest way is body thrusting, have a look on YouTube.

This is true and you will be taught this method on your course however body thrusting is very unergonomic and can have longterm detremental effects on your joints.

I remember one guy on my 38 that had tried to buy his kit beforehand. Must have had a dozen screw gates and other bits and bobs that were all unfit for purpose.

Wait for your training before you splash out. You'll find what works for you and if you're even cut out for climbing before you blow any money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Do anything which involves heights and being attached to a rope or even tying knots upside down in the rain or infront of the tv. Being competent to tie and dress correctly a few of the common knots/bends/hitches will remove a bit of the learning curve. None of it will hurt unless you can't adapt to a change once used to a certain method. However buying kit having never tried any and for an application you haven't tried may hurt the pocket and leave you with some "shinies" in a cupboard which you never use and have forever. I had a few which I've slowly donated and am left with a spare hitch climber I've never used!

Hi all, my apologies not knowing what to write to ask if rope is used or rigging is used.

Like I say in my questions I am a total newbie, and I write in the plainest way possible because I don't no any other way.