Would you climb this ?

Tree Tastic Care

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always hard to tell from photos and you will always get a mixed response. From the pics probably yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't order a boom as its you inspecting it and you climbing it.

I've been in a similar situation quoting on a large larch next to a house that showed accelerating signs of decay, quite possibly phytophthora. It required a 30 metre lift and that was about £800 quid for the day. The customer concerned was driven by price and obtaining the cheapest quote. She found someone who climbed and dismantled it. Did they get lucky or was it not as decayed as suspected ? I won't know. The main thing is you need to feel comfortable doing it. If you don't and they will suck up the added cost crack on with the boom. Don't risk what you aren't comfortable with.

I hope the comments are of some use. Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Cheers for the comments guys just checking what I'm doing is rite and safe for me and the property's and other trees around . They are more then happy to pay for the boom so that helps . Like you say you can't tell from the pics but where it's split the seem opens quit a lot when it's got a little breeze in the air so it might even split befor the boom gets there on Tuesday.

It costs what it costs is my opinion and would have nothing to do with saving the client money, i have climbed trees like that particularly as like Skyhuck said it survived the storm, in fact today's job was one such job half the tree blew out but the other half stayed up. Plenty of space for a MEWP money was on the job but it was not going to make it safer easier or quicker so we climbed it.

At the same time we have also specced a MEWP because it was safer, easier and more efficient.