my static rope system

devon TWiG

Starting several decades ago as a solution to a problem job I had to ascend a tree without going on to the owners property to prune back overhanging branches so no access to the trunk , I utilised a couple of ascenders to go up a rope dangling in mid air so the conventional body thrust technique was not really possible , however i did the job OK . After doing it this way, on the odd occasion I used the same technique a sort of SRT for access only , especially on long hauls or 2nd day on a big tree . Recently I purchased a Petzl pantin which is very useful . I have a current project to crown raise and deadwood a lot of 80-90 ft Douglas firs , I am not entirely comfortable just relying on the ascender ( if it should fail in any way I will be upside down attatched to the rope by my right foot only ! ) so have have included a split tail in to the system as a back up but it is just pushed up with the ascender and never grips unless the ascender comes of or should fail , there is a knot on the split tail where it passes through the ascender to allow me to be attatched to the ascender , and I find it a very simple and efficient way of ascending a static line , just wondering if anyone else does this or has seen it used before ...

DSCF1327.jpg.a7142ced97756c9750ae0500e848feba.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRT would be the logical answer to that,although i suppose its not for everyone.A long prussik or kleimheist would hold better than a split tail blakes imo.

Footlocking is also an option with long eye to eye hitch cord with an asceder back up.

If your climbing on a fixed line remember 100% of your weight is on your hitch should your ascender fail.Just summit to conscider.

Edited by stihlmadasever

Wouldn't it be simpler just to use an SRT system?

/QUOTE]

Not for me , I use ddrt for virtually everything , and the SRT gadgets are costly and are not really very good with 13 mm rope ,so would need another rope as well , and then end up taking 2 sets of kit to most jobs , I do not know anyone who uses, or actually seen anyone climbing on SRT in my area to get a fair appraisal of it really .

/QUOTE]

Not for me , I use ddrt for virtually everything , and the SRT gadgets are costly and are not really very good with 13 mm rope ,so would need another rope as well , and then end up taking 2 sets of kit to most jobs , I do not know anyone who uses, or actually seen anyone climbing on SRT in my area to get a fair appraisal of it really .

SRT is no more than expensive than anything else out there, and can be used with a 13mm rope all you need is a rope wrench and tether and your there, no need for seperate rope and two sets of kits. I have one kit and can climb DdRT or SRT.

You obviously have most of the parts you need

/QUOTE]

I'm in your neck of the woods and gladly show you a simple rope wrench setup if any help. Will be safer,more efficient and give you many more options then your current system. No reason why SRT can't be used on larger ropes.

Many thanks Broadsword , I may take you up on that , where about's in Devon are you ? I am Newton Abbot area . ......... From info I have it seems most use a 11mm rope with SRT. I personally really like DRT I have been using it for over 30 years now and like it and have no problem with it , just use some of the kit I already have to make long ascents easier ( getting old !! ) but would like to see SRT in use on a job , not a demo ( video ) in a clean open crown parkland tree with no deadwood ivy etc etc ....and I bloody hate throwbags / lines ...most of the Douglas firs I am doing are close enough to chuck a rope from one to the next one .