• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The related article:

Treemagineers Blog

And from that blog the thing that stands out for me is this

If I had to hazard a guess?

which makes a laughing stock of itself and any arguments that follow since its all based on an assumption.

Its all keyboard gum banging of little consequence, but a little controversy is always good to keep your web counter spinning or improve your you tube ranking.

And from that blog the thing that stands out for me is this

which makes a laughing stock of itself and any arguments that follow since its all based on an assumption.

Its all keyboard gum banging of little consequence, but a little controversy is always good to keep your web counter spinning or improve your you tube ranking.

Yup, guys clearly not done production work.

I watched the video, very interesting as usual. Reg is quite correct in saying that if toppers weren't designed for one handed use they could fit a dead mans trigger on the front handle like they have on e.g. electric hedge trimmers and doubtless on lots of other power tools.

I also read the blog, thanks for the link, but if you look at the image illustrating the injuries there are a significant amount on the left leg, almost as many as the left hand injuries, they can't be down to one handed topper use so what caused them?

I'm guessing that the image illustrates injuries sustained by both domestic and pro users and given the number of videos on Youtube showing domestic users ( mostly in the US) on the ground with a topper holding a branch in one hand and cutting with the other I'm not really surprised by the amount of left hand injuries.

If on the other hand the image relates to injuries sustained by professional users only which seems to be how the writer is applying it, how does the writer explain the high number of left leg injuries? You've 17,994 left hand injuries and 16,348 left leg, that's a similarity in frequency to beg the question why concentrate on the hand injuries and not mention the leg injuries at all?

The blog is on about rear handle saws, I would never try to use one of those one handed no matter how small the saw. Top handle saws are a different concept surely.

I'm inclined to disagree with you there, it isn't stated whether he's referring to top or Rear handle but I'd suggest that as the Blog is primarily aimed at climbers and toppers are arguably designed for one handed use then it's toppers he's talking about, at least that's how I read it. :confused1:

RMac I believe the picture is of tree work in general most people are right handed or if not still hold the saw in a conventional way meaning most let injuries occur to the left leg that's easy to understand when you look at it like that.

But how to explain injuries to the left hand which are very high? Only reasonable assumption is one handed use.

I think Mark is spot on for the most part, using a saw one handed is 90% of the time unnecessary and down to laziness I say this because I often one hand myself, not because it's quicker or better it's because I am lazy and not putting myself into a good work position.

I also think Reg has valid points, thing is Reg is very competent, in his work videos I rarely see laziness or poor positioning, unlike other videos I have seen posted here where like myself the one handed use is just being lazy and not positioning correctly because it feels quicker which it is not.

I am guilty of it and probably will continue to do it but cannot defend myself doing it because I think it's wrong.