Climbing Kit, Loler and the Sole Trader, Whats the Point?

R Mac

Like the title says, you're a sole trader/contract climber, you purchase and use your own equipment, you don't let anyone else use it and you don't use anyone elses, you do pre use checks and keep a written record.

What is the point in taking it to a Loler inspector to have it checked on the 1st day of the 7th month when you've been deemed competent enough to do your own checks every time you used it during the preceding 6 months?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's in the same category as having a worker to run the ropes and clear up who doesn't have climbing tickets, just don't do it, unless you want to

as the lombardy fell incident proved , all the acreditations, lolers, tickets etc won't always guarantee a trouble free time

Edited by tree-fancier123

I also wonder why I bother with Loler checks. I think we all know when something is unsafe.

But I also know that I am more likely to push the limits because I want that bit of kit to last a bit longer and not shell out more money.

The strange way it works it that if someone else was using the kit and it failed then I would be responsible and I wouldn't want that to happen but I am ok with it happening to myself.

So I use a Loler inspector because that way my tendency to push the limits is limited.

I also wonder why I bother with Loler checks. I think we all know when something is unsafe.

But I also know that I am more likely to push the limits because I want that bit of kit to last a bit longer and not shell out more money.

The strange way it works it that if someone else was using the kit and it failed then I would be responsible and I wouldn't want that to happen but I am ok with it happening to myself.

So I use a Loler inspector because that way my tendency to push the limits is limited.

That's a very good answer and not a take on it that I'd considered myself but I see where you're coming from. :thumbup1:

I completly sympathise but i have my personal kit lolered without exception and with this in mind-my stein cambium saver failed as the stiching at one of the rings had started to frey,i didnt notice it even doing weekly checks.If the loler hadnt highlighted it i may have had a sore one.

I think it should be down to the individual whether they want a loler inspection or not,espescially as it cost me nearly 90 quid.Being a tight arsed scotsman thats hard too take

I completly sympathise but i have my personal kit lolered without exception and with this in mind-my stein cambium saver failed as the stiching at one of the rings had started to frey,i didnt notice it even doing weekly checks.If the loler hadnt highlighted it i may have had a sore one.

I think it should be down to the individual whether they want a loler inspection or not,espescially as it cost me nearly 90 quid.Being a tight arsed scotsman thats hard too take

Don't think you need to be a tight arsed Scotsman to feel like £90 is a lot for someone to look at your kit for an hour, when you bust a gut all day for not much more.