DdRT Injuries

RC0

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Reg I can't really add to that .... All the reasons you stated for not using the single line from and how it has added to your career now are frighteningly like my own experiences, I would not go back and would say that moment when I was deadwood a big sycamore and it all clicked after trying quite a few times was an exciting moment in my career!

My only feeling on it would be if you didn't climb a lot of big trees on the transitional period I don't think you would get the full advantage.

Good message to the people and companies trying to stand in the way , you know who you are!

Here is to many years of productive and injury free climbing mate :) .

I couldn't agree more. I first started my career on nylon three ply and was resistant to changing over to modern polyester ropes. I think it was the cost that put me off more than anything else (as three ply was dirt cheap and so easy to splice to make prusik loops). But when I did I could not believe the gains. Exactly the same happened with the intro of SRT. So I too embrace change and will try anything that makes my life easier. I now see the investment in gear as an investment in my health.

The only pain I suffer now is cramp in the fingers towards the end of the day on long climbs which I attribute to gripping narrow diameter ropes. So if anyone has any ideas on how to alleviate this I am all ears.

I couldn't agree more. I first started my career on nylon three ply and was resistant to changing over to modern polyester ropes. I think it was the cost that put me off more than anything else (as three ply was dirt cheap and so easy to splice to make prusik loops). But when I did I could not believe the gains. Exactly the same happened with the intro of SRT. So I too embrace change and will try anything that makes my life easier. I now see the investment in gear as an investment in my health.

The only pain I suffer now is cramp in the fingers towards the end of the day on long climbs which I attribute to gripping narrow diameter ropes. So if anyone has any ideas on how to alleviate this I am all ears.

Use hand ascenders.

Wear gloves.

Use a larger diameter rope.

Or do what I do, get a contract climber in and don't climb so much.

Anyone on here tried Inversion Therapy for back pain? We discovered it a few months ago, bought an inversion table - a Teeter - and use it every day for a few minutes. It sorted out our backs. You hang from your ankles, and the weight of your own head and upper body puts your spine under gentle traction - allowing the disks to decompress and hydrate. If you want to try it, just hang upside down in your climbing harness and ankle lock the rope, gives much the same effect but the table is way more pleasant.

Use hand ascenders.

Wear gloves.

Use a larger diameter rope.

Or do what I do, get a contract climber in and don't climb so much.

Thanks for the response. Not sure how well hand ascenders would work with the wrench - have you any experience with this?I do wear gloves and get frustrated with them getting trapped in the wrench. Perhaps leather ones would be best?

I am climbing on blue tongue as that works well with the wrench. Do you have any recommendations for a fatter rope than Bluetongue for use with the wrench or perhaps some other device?

I do work with contract climbers as well ....but that's just transferring the problem surely:001_tongue: