fell or climb this decayed HC?

tree-fancier123

I've not climbed many badly decayed trees - and while I get the gist of the 'if it stayed up in the last storm it should be alright' - I also have reservations after reading on here some years ago about a climber in germany losing use of his legs after trying to top out a decayed beech that shattered as the top went over with him tied on to it.

I've been saving up a few dumpy bags of hedge cuttings (haven't got any tires) to save damaging the lawn with the pollard heads, also the path has a drain under.

I thought of three ways

1. put a ladder up and work unnattached and slice the pollard heads off, then disk it down off the ladder

2. spike up the 'good side' and do as above.

3 attach tirfor to top then to bottom of neighbouring tree and try to take all the pollard heads in a big top, maybe off a ladder again.

Not sure how much good wood there is to control a fell. Obviously no way to wedge the back cut, so hopefully the tirfor would prevent it from sitting back.

So interested in hearing from more experienced people about how they would do it, preferably without damaging lawn or paths and drains under. Also if the armchair arborists feel they need to write something too - no worries!

thanks for reading and any replies - I know these knackered trees are routine for some of you.

It's about 25' high 2' ish dbh

074.jpg.857a7b7180ef799cf97e11bf3ffca4f1.jpg

073.jpg.f5874c33032ebfb9a5ecb0ebc204d228.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No possibility of leaving some of the stem in situ? Maybe just bring the height down a touch? Decaying nicely and providing great habitat?

PS - take the ladder option(s) out of the equation!

Are there times (other than honey fungus) that it is thought not good to leave wood with fruiting bodies on nearby for fear of cross contamination? In forestry they used to be keen to get rid of dodgy trees stump and all? Maybe you can't sterilize the landscape and it is of no protective benefit?

In the perhaps extremely rare case that a 25' tree were to fail while the pollard heads are being cut off why would it be better on spikes than on a ladder?

only a little garden gate, it could be craned out from next door

Could the fence / gate not be removed to allow access? (Know this adds to the job complexity and time/money/resource/hassle etc but I sense you're not happy to climb it...and I empathise.)

but I think they'd rather set fire to the tree than their money

Dynamite? :001_rolleyes:

Tc whichever way you go..

Paul

Are there times (other than honey fungus) that it is thought not good to leave wood with fruiting bodies on nearby for fear of cross contamination? In forestry they used to be keen to get rid of dodgy trees stump and all? Maybe you can't sterilize the landscape and it is of no protective benefit?

In the perhaps extremely rare case that a 25' tree were to fail while the pollard heads are being cut off why would it be better on spikes than on a ladder?

The easy one first....

If you're on spikes and the stem failed, you'd probably fall.

If you've got a ladder against the stem and it failed, you'd probably fall.

Nothing to be gained by going up a ladder.

Greater support, stability, work position in spikes / harness.

Lesser of 2 weevils.

Only you can decide if it's safe enough for spikes, if in any doubt, MEWP or fell.

The difficult one....

I hope someone explains this (or rubbishes it) better than I can. I'm quoting direct from AA's Fungi on Trees guide (hope you don't mind Paul!)

As relates to Honey fungus (bottom of p12), but may be relevant to the situation in your pictures...

"The fungus can spread from colonised stumps and roots to surrounding trees, particularly if there is a lack of natural suppression, in the form of fallen deadwood, colonised by other (beneficial) decay fungi performing natural controll"

I interpret that to mean, inadvertently, the removal of all deadwood may actually leave the path open to potentially unwelcome decay fungi by the well intentioned but possibly over zealous and unnecessary 'management' of nature's natural processes.

It may not appeal to the homeowner, but I'd rather see a standing stem colonised by multiple fungi, bugs, birds, bats etc than a stump sawn at 300mm.

Hope that makes sense? Just my view, it may not suit the circumstances you have to deal with...