Phanner Ventura jacket.

Old Mill Tree Care

I recently got a Ventura jacket and wore it all day today in constant rain.

First impression is that is designed perfectly for a tree climber. It feels slightly odd and tight under the arms when standing still but when your arms are raised and forwards when climbing, the fit and comfort is perfect.

Looking at the inside, it seems adequately reinforced in all the necessary areas and the Sympatex material appears to be tough enough and is surprisingly stretchy.

Although I couldn't care for pockets, they are in exactly the right places should you need them.

I have not used the hood but it's clearly well designed.

The collar can be snugged around the neck then loosened easily with use one hand and the double, double back storm flap over the main zip won't be allowing any water through.

I reckon it is money very well spent as Sympatex is a proven fabric and because the jacket is designed by the Phanner boffins, the functionality is perfect.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I've used the Ventura jacket on four days with a lot of rain on one of the days. There is no water ingress at all (except for up the sleeves of course) and the jacket as a whole is supremely comfortable for climbing in.

What sets it apart from every other jacket on the market is that it is designed specifically for tree climbing and has some really good design features:

Pockets that double as hand warmers even when wearing a harness.

An elastic that runs through the collar so that the collar can be snugged up or loosened with one hand.

Long sleeves that are still long enough, no matter how much you stretch.

A hood that fits over a helmet and is adjustable over the top and round the sides as well is being a zip off/on.

Pocket on the upper sleeve for, erm, 2 Tunnocks caramel biscuits.

Underarm vents to open when it stops raining and you don't want to over heat.

Maybe more but I can't remember right now.

Thanks again to Treekit for sending it so promptly!

I recently got a Ventura jacket and wore it all day today in constant rain.

First impression is that is designed perfectly for a tree climber. It feels slightly odd and tight under the arms when standing still but when your arms are raised and forwards when climbing, the fit and comfort is perfect.

Looking at the inside, it seems adequately reinforced in all the necessary areas and the Sympatex material appears to be tough enough and is surprisingly stretchy.

Although I couldn't care for pockets, they are in exactly the right places should you need them.

I have not used the hood but it's clearly well designed.

The collar can be snugged around the neck then loosened easily with use one hand and the double, double back storm flap over the main zip won't be allowing any water through.

I reckon it is money very well spent as Sympatex is a proven fabric and because the jacket is designed by the Phanner boffins, the functionality is perfect.

Hi Old Mill

Starting to look at jackets and wondering about the ever popular Cut and Climb or something else. From another thread I saw you had one and now you have this new Pfanner one.

Why did you change and is it that much better?

Cheers

Stew

Hi Old Mill

Starting to look at jackets and wondering about the ever popular Cut and Climb or something else. From another thread I saw you had one and now you have this new Pfanner one.

Why did you change and is it that much better?

Cheers

Stew

That's a good question and I knew that someone would eventually ask.

IMHO you can't compare the two because they are designed very differently at a different price point.

The C&C jacket is a great jacket. Lightweight, very comfy and simple in design. My experience is that it does not stay waterproof for long enough given the price so i feel it is a touch overpriced.

The Ventura is a premium focused Arborist's jacket and the attention to detail is relentless.

Every seam is exactly right to ensure a snug fit even when stretching and twisting.

Looking inside, there is plenty of seam reinforcement just where it should be.

All the zips are the right length and at correct angles so that they are easy to use one handed.

Elastic adjusters can be operated with one hand but are hidden so that they don't get snagged.

The Sympatex fabric has been in use for many years and has a proven track record therefore it will outlast the other jackets in the Arb market.

This level of detailing has created a garment that I can't find fault with so I feel the price is correct.

If I lost this one, what would I replace it with? Another Ventura definitely.

I think if you look at the Ventura, you wouldn't be able to buy anything else.

im a big fan of pfanner clothing and quite tempted by this. I have the regular arborist jacket and love it. Lot of money to outlay but if its truly waterproof and lasts then its worth it. I have the cut and climb and rate it highly but do prefer climbing clothing to be as less bulky as possible, which the pfanner seems to accomplish