Saw replacements

huskykev

Looking to replace saws. Have an efco 4100 (40cc 15" bar) and husky 61 on a 20" bar. also looking for a light pruning saw and reckon the h 540 is too big and expensive. I was considering the tanaka tcs2801 (10" bar) and the ecv4501 (15"bar) and and husky372 or 576 (24"bar).

Im a landscaper so they wouldn't be used every day but I do a lot of firewood and hedgerow work over the winter so need reliable gear, not cheap shite...

I'm based on Limerick, Ireland.

I have a Stihl ms170 and even though it's very small, I like using it for small bits.

With regards mid sized saws as you request, I run a husky 357xp, but miss my 372xp which was stolen. Can't comment on equivalent Stihls but quite a few husky forestry guys are switching to echo, for reliability.

If you have not yet, try and get a demo on a 550 husky, the auto tune adjusts the fuel map and ignition advance depending on what you are cutting, it's very impressive, light, and feels nice you may find it will do the job of a couple of saws, I have 5 saws 4 stihl 250,260,441,660 and 550 is my go to saw, sits well between 260 & 441 but, obviously it's not got quite as much go as the 441 but it's light, just my view, others may differ

Bought my first Echo the other month to replace a sick Stihl 171. It's the little CS310ES with a 12" bar and it cost £166 from Radmore and Tucker.

It is a cracking saw, used it to sned about 80 odd spruces and firs recently and it never missed a beat. Starts at the first pull, is light and surprisingly powerful. An ideal ground or pruning saw.

I liked it so much that I got the little Echo top handle saw the other week and must admit that I have been so impressed with both that I am seriously looking at the 390ESX.

Never had Echo's before but they are proving to be excellent saws, have no electro thingamagic auto tuners to drive me round the bend and just do exactly as claimed.

Looking to replace saws. Have an efco 4100 (40cc 15" bar) and husky 61 on a 20" bar. also looking for a light pruning saw and reckon the h 540 is too big and expensive. I was considering the tanaka tcs2801 (10" bar) and the ecv4501 (15"bar) and and husky372 or 576 (24"bar).

Im a landscaper so they wouldn't be used every day but I do a lot of firewood and hedgerow work over the winter so need reliable gear, not cheap shite...

I'm based on Limerick, Ireland.

I've got a tanaka ecv4501 that I'm just about to sell on. PM me if your interested

Are echo and shindaiwa the same? Can't find any dealers over here...

Yes they are the same firm and Shindaiwa products are still sold in certain markets. I haven't seen them over here for some years but new 'old' ones turn up on EBay every now and then.

I've got a tanaka ecv4501 that I'm just about to sell on. PM me if your interested

Thanks dirtybiker but I'd rather have a new one considering it'll be my main saw. How did you get on with it? I've heard they need a good pull to start but nothing else bad about them.... Have had a few problems with the newer tanaka hedgetrimmers buthopefully saws are different....

Thanks dirtybiker but I'd rather have a new one considering it'll be my main saw. How did you get on with it? I've heard they need a good pull to start but nothing else bad about them.... Have had a few problems with the newer tanaka hedgetrimmers buthopefully saws are different....

I use it as a firewood saw. Seems good so far, it's very light to use. Proper ally split crank cases and two rings on the piston. Seems very well built for a 'cheaper saw'. The decomp is useful and it starts well. Typical Japanese quality:001_smile: